Can I Put Fermenter In Normal Fridge?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bookworm1707

Reaction score
I have just got all the gear for kegging. I have just got my first brew in the fermenter, it is a kit one that came with the fermenter and a yeast that said to keep at a temp of about 8-14 degrees (from memory, I know it was low).

I dont have any cash left over and at the moment the temps here are about 12-18 degrees. I can't afford a fridge controller at the moment but wondering if I can put the fermenter in the fridge with the temp turned up a bit?

I will be upgrading things a bit over time but just trying to get started!

What exactly is the yeast? Sounds like a lager yeast and, if so, several varieties of lager yeast will run quite happily at mid-teen temperatures without any problems. If it's a dried yeast then it's probably one of about 3 popular varieties that shouldn't cause you a problem .

It is/was dry. I have it outside at the moment and the airlock is bubbling slowly. I did do some homebrewing years ago and I remember a fairly fast bubble rate, almost continuous?

yes you can.
I'd suggest you attach a thermomemter to your fermentor so that you know what the "real" temperature of your beer is.

We need more info but given the temp range you have mentioned I don't think you need the fridge. Try and keep the temp constant without too much swing in temp range. That's the keyvwhen you are brewing without to much cash to invest. Your fridge will likely drop you to somewhere like 2 to 8 degrees. This is too cold for you and will slow and maybe even stress your yeast.

Look at pack and post type of yeast and someone will give you specific advice.

Good luck

+1 for the previous posters

and........

prior to purchasing an actual temperature controller, I used a thermometer in the fridge and a timer switch to turn the fridge on and off at intervals to regulate the temperature.

it's a bit more work to monitor the temp and set the appropriate on/off times but it will work well enough in the interim

I also know that others have used non working fridges with frozen bottles of water to regulate their fermentation temps so you'll have no issues as long as you know what temp your yeast needs to be at

cheers

+1 for the previous posters

and........

prior to purchasing an actual temperature controller, I used a thermometer in the fridge and a timer switch to turn the fridge on and off at intervals to regulate the temperature.

it's a bit more work to monitor the temp and set the appropriate on/off times but it will work well enough in the interim

I also know that others have used non working fridges with frozen bottles of water to regulate their fermentation temps so you'll have no issues as long as you know what temp your yeast needs to be at

cheers
+1
my first set up was a dead fridge, a digital thermometer to know what temperature I had, and a dimmer switch light.
By playing with different wattage globes, and different settings on the dimmer switch I could effectively maintain a very steady temperature.

My first upgrade was a STC1000 to switch the heating on and off.
My second upgrade was a cheap fridge to keep fermenting temps down in summer.

Hi,

The yeast is Saflarger S23. Says to keep a temp of 9-15c preferably 10-13.

The thermometer on the fermenter is getting down to about 14 at night and about 16 during the day.

Adelaide temps, in a brick and tile garage.

Suggestions?

While I am at it, I have a basic keg setup, two kegs, gas, line, quick connects, reg, fridge and a tap. Where do I go from here? Eventually I would like to get away from the premade mixes.

I figure if I can get another tap set up and another one or two kegs? Then look at the gear to make the brew from scratch?

Latest posts

Back