Can i do every thing in my big w pot?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeyJoeJoe

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know I can mash then boil in my pot (want to do a 12l brew) but can I just cool it down chuck some glad wrap over it with a rubber band around it and ferment in it too?

I just listened to a real interesting homebrew show radio thing where they did a big experiment that basically showed the hotbreak/cold break/trub in general had no negative effect on beer in fact it seemed to be good for yeast health...

So can i do it all? Or more to the point should I?

unless you link to said evidence of no effect it didn't happen.

It is possible to do what you want, but I don't know whether it will turn out to be any good. why not try and let us know!

I've done quite a few brews where the hot and cold break has gone into the fermenter. I haven't noticed any flavours that could be attributed to doing this.
I generally do pretty full flavoured ales though so maybe if you're into pale lagers with little flavour to begin with it might be different.
As far as fermenting in the pot itself, it's stainless steel so fine to use for that purpose.
If you want to brew two weekends in a row though that could be a problem.

With such a small volume you could easily :
  • decant the cooled wort into other vessel(s) (eg. couple of sanitised kitchen pots)
  • discard the hop and break trub at the bottom of the BigW pot,
  • pour wort back into BigW pot,
  • pitch yeast
EDIT: nice thing is that the BigW pot should be already sanitised from the earlier boil so can be used as a fermentor

I didn't consider hop material. I use a hop bag so I just pull that out at the end.

Edak said:

It is possible to do what you want, but I don't know whether it will turn out to be any good. why not try and let us know!
Basic brewing
February 23, 2012 - Trub Experiment Results
James and Chris Colby, editor of Brew Your Own magazine, go over the results of the BYO-BBR Collaborative Experiment on kettle trub in the fermenter.

iTunes | Streaming mp3

Sorry on the ipad but if you chuck that in google you will get it

Edak said:
It is the same bullshit podcast Nick was always talking about. everyone hears what they want from that thing. If you look at it objectively you realise pretty quickly that this "study's" results are basicly split down the middle and isn't terribly scientific to begin with. The question may as well have been "Do I trust your opinion, semi-random homebrewer?"

Also, $10 says this will be an accepted method amongst a subset of brewers shortly (as predicted previously).

Personally I never get hot break into my fermenter as I scoop that crap out as it comes to boil. I get masses of child break in my kettle and keep most of it out of my fermenter too because of clouds up my finished product. I don't want to waste my whirlfloc.

Bum is right it is a bit either way but the host liked his more with the trub than without. Can't hurt I am going to give it a go.

Edak said:
Personally I never get hot break into my fermenter as I scoop that crap out as it comes to boil.
Surely this isn't even possible?

JoeyJoeJoe said:
Can't hurt I am going to give it a go.
There has been a LOT of discussion about this previously but the upshot seems to be that if you're going to drink it quickly then the average person may not perceive any difference. Science says flavour stability will suffer over time.

But, seriously, whirlpooling so easy. I don't know what the problem is.

I do 17l batches in my Big W pot and have scratched my head over whirlpooling with the Big W pot method. I have whirlpooled before but as I no chill by glad wrapping the top of the pot and leaving over night, the trub settles to the bottom and then I tip into the fermenter the pot has not tap. Isn't whirlpooling about pulling the trub down and to the centre of the vessel to keep it away from the tap/edge? Therefore, isn't whirlpooling kinda pointless with the stovetop method?

Sorry for the slight topic hijack......

Chris

einnebcj said:
I do 17l batches in my Big W pot and have scratched my head over whirlpooling with the Big W pot method. I have whirlpooled before but as I no chill by glad wrapping the top of the pot and leaving over night, the trub settles to the bottom and then I tip into the fermenter the pot has not tap. Isn't whirlpooling about pulling the trub down and to the centre of the vessel to keep it away from the tap/edge? Therefore, isn't whirlpooling kinda pointless with the stovetop method?

Sorry for the slight topic hijack......

Chris
Possibly, but only if you assume that ALL stovetop brewers no-chill and no-chill in the kettle exclusively (which I personally hope is a bit of a stretch).

Edak said:
... I get masses of child break in my kettle and keep most of it out of my fermenter too because of clouds up my finished product....
Are we to speculate what "child break" is code for??
Masses of it in the kettle? And it clouds up his beer? Ye gods!
I know where children come from & i'm a bit scared to try Edak's case swap beer now.

It's great he keeps most of it out of his fermenter, though.

Drum roll...
Thank-you

einnebcj said:
isn't whirlpooling kinda pointless with the stovetop method?
Was wondering if this might surface. Yes, presuming that you want to get the wort into another vessel to ferment it, whirlpool in a 19L pot is kind of pointless unless, and its a bit of a stretch, you happen to use a pickup or a syphon hose (generally speaking, no to either) to get the wort out and do so very, very carefully.
Pouring it out though some kind of mesh filter and accepting some kettle trub in the ferment is the usual method for emptying, alternatively a fairly large loss of wort to trub, or perhaps none as per the OP's suggestion. A few gongs in my collection attest to that mesh filter method's effectiveness, however the wort loss approaches zero.

Are we to speculate what "child break" is code for??
Masses of it in the kettle? And it clouds up his beer? Ye gods!
I know where children come from & i'm a bit scared to try Edak's case swap beer now.

It's great he keeps most of it out of his fermenter, though.

Drum roll...
Thank-you

Late night, mobile phone, autocorrect on.
Cold break, keep it out of the fermenter, when I let too much in it clouds up beer. I prefer a clearer beer. Nuff said.

Surely this isn't even possible?

Why not? I have a fine strainer thing and use it to skim the foamy shit off the top of the wort before it becomes egg drop soup.

Edak said:
Why not? I have a fine strainer thing and use it to skim the foamy shit off the top of the wort before it becomes egg drop soup.

I do this too - I'm sure some gets missed, but by the end of a boil I have about 200ml of very dense moussey foam that holds it's form over night.

That sounds odd to me, maybe because I chill my wort, it's always clear up top. I don't know of a moussey foam.

bum said:
It is the same bullshit podcast Nick was always talking about. everyone hears what they want from that thing. If you look at it objectively you realise pretty quickly that this "study's" results are basicly split down the middle and isn't terribly scientific to begin with.
Yes.

The podcast is not the shining beacon of truth people seem to think it is. Try it for yourself for sure but please don't suggest that 'experiment' is either well designed, well carried out or even vaguely conclusive.

Latest posts

Back