Can beer seems to be good

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilchard

Reaction score
I put down a can of rapid creek pale with the recommended malt sugar baggy and added 1 hour steeped 30g Amarillo hops. It was supposed to be close to 150 lashes. Not my beer of choice but I usually drink cheap. I couldn't help myself tonight before it went into the fridge to crash. I had to taste it.

Damn I was surprised with a clean passion fruity brew. I have not cooled this yet so am wondering if I could add more of the Amarillo to get more flavour out of it or another hop to get some bitterness in there. The shops are opened tomorow so I can buy if needed.

Thanks.

Congrats on making a tasty drop!
Im guessing you're asking what you can do for hop flavour post-fermentation before you cold crash before bottling/kegging?
You could always dry hop the brew for just under a week to reach the hop presence you're after; that will give you some bright fruity hop aroma with the amarillo and an increased perceived bitterness (imho anyway) in the final product.
Cant think of too much else post-ferm you can do apart from dry hopping anyway!

Nathan

Pilchard said:
I put down a can of rapid creek pale with the recommended malt sugar baggy and added 1 hour steeped 30g Amarillo hops. It was supposed to be close to 150 lashes. Not my beer of choice but I usually drink cheap. I couldn't help myself tonight before it went into the fridge to crash. I had to taste it.

Damn I was surprised with a clean passion fruity brew. I have not cooled this yet so am wondering if I could add more of the Amarillo to get more flavour out of it or another hop to get some bitterness in there. The shops are opened tomorow so I can buy if needed.

Thanks.
You can dry hop it to give you more hop aroma, or you could do a mini boil of some hops in 1L of water to extract some more bitterness. Adding dry hops won't give you any more bitterness.

IMHO, leave it as is and adjust it next time you make it. It sounds like you've done a good job, so why tempt fate and risk infecting and ruining a good beer.

JD

JDW81 said:
IMHO, leave it as is and adjust it next time you make it. It sounds like you've done a good job, so why tempt fate and risk infecting and ruining a good beer.

JD
Agreed...Drink this beer for what it is and enjoy it. Taste it and think about anything you would like to change for your next brew to make it more to your tastes and do some research into how to successfully make that change.

+1 for leaving it if it tastes that good.

Use it as a base and see what you can tweak to make it better.

Thanks guys, I will let it be and work off it as a base. Will start looking into how to bring in some more bitterness. It's the first brew in so long I can't remember the last one but by the taste of it it won't be the last.

Cheers.

Made several can beers now, some with LDHE some with a 50% share of grain malt. All at bottling are drinkable. I really hope the extra cost if AG set up is worth it. I have done BIAB for sone of the partials and it seems easy, I am making my OG easily. Everything is sitting pretty. I don't want to frick it up and go too hard. I want to do a half recipe in a fermenter that I know works with an easy water schedule that I can produce. I'll let you know how AG goes for me. I can't see it being No harder than BIAB and those proficient in AG will let me play. At the moment I am using a 90 min boil with a small sparge, just in case maybe from the pod cast and other info I have gained 90 mins will give all it's going to.. The hidden sparge??

Too much terminology for me right now but will check back on posts...

Latest posts

Back