Can A Nasa Boil 200l Of Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DJR said:
Obviously your wort comes from the mash tun higher than 25 deg, maybe more like 65C, so it only has to do 25 degrees, so a quarter of that figure, or 20 MJ is better. On that figure a NASA rated at about 130Mj should do 200L in about 15 minutes! I didn't realise a NASA makes so goddamn much heat at full steam... that's a 4kg LPG gas cylinder gone in an hour from one of those!
[post="115742"][/post]​

That maybe true if you were running it at full noise for 60 mins. However you only run it at full noise to get to the boil, after which it barely idles (on 40 litres).

I get 47 litres to the boil in 15-19 minutes at full noise on a NASA from a start temp of between 50-60 degC.
It takes ~13 mins at full noise if I start it as soon as the sparge is finished. The 15-19 mins is after standing for up to 2 hours post sparge.
If I was doing 200 litres I'd start the NASA up on low when the volume in the kettle was around 100 litres and slowly increase the throughput on the NASA as the volume increased. That way it wouldn't take long to boil post sparge.

Beers,
Doc

Latest posts

Back