Calcium carbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None.

There is a much more complicated answer but basically chalk has no place outside the classroom in my opinion.

What are you trying to do?

Been reading that Melbourne water even ground water “rain” is short on the calcium side of things. Is there a general rule of thumb as to the extent calcium carbonate needs to be added. I sort of understand it depends some on the style of beer being brewed and I am thinking along the lighter crisper styles. I saw a demo of the Robomaster on youtube and the presenter was talking in the 20ppm range of CaCO3. Anyone offer any guidance or is it just not worth effort fiddling with ph?

My teacher was a pr**k, he used to throw the chalk and the blackboard cleaner at us. I never could understand why - such a perfect little fellow was I.

From my understanding, calcium carbonate should rarely, if ever, be used. Generally you want to neutralise alkalinity, especially for lighter beer styles.

If your water is low in calcium content then an addition of calcium sulphate or calcium chloride would be more beneficial. These will help lower mash pH (the opposite will happen if you use calcium carbonate and that's only if you are able to properly dissolve it). Some additional acid such as lactic or phosphoric may also be needed.

Never, well outside a really big black beer.
Calcium is available in lots of less controversial forms, Calcium Chloride and Calcium Sulphate being the common ones, I use Ca Lactate and Lactic acid as a Ca source and buffer, in addition to any Ca from chloride and sulphate that I use for flavour adjustments..
Mark.

Back