CACAO NIBS VS CACAO POWDER

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABBA110360

Reaction score
Hi
a recipe i have calls for cacao nibs in the boil but here in downtown yamba all i can sourse is ground cacao .
does anyone have reliable imformation about ground cacao potency versus nibs and if so what ratio to use
thanks in advance ken

ive already bought this ground stuff bloody expensive actually but that's ok cos the beer is for me

I'd say you would need to use about 50% in weight of the nibs but that is a guess and nothing more! Good luck though

Moad said:
I'd say you would need to use about 50% in weight of the nibs but that is a guess and nothing more! Good luck though
hi moad thanks
it's going into a imp stout
I did a lot of google stuff on it and could not come up with anything usefull just don't want to over do it

I suppose if it's wrong i'll just have to drink it
drink it freddy lol

I just used 300g of nibs that were soaked in alcohol for 2 weeks and am not picking up an overpowering flavour from them. What's the recipe call for?

sp0rk said:
Woolies should have it, sometimes in the health food section
thanks spork
I was actually wondering if someone knew a comparison rate between the nibs and ground as I've already got the ground stuff

I have used both in brews and once in the same brew adding the powder to the boil and the nibs during fermentation. This was for a double chocolate stout.

I think for 40L into the fermenter I used 500g and it certainly wasn't over powering. Might be different if added to the fermenter.

If you are aiming for a distinct chocolate flavour I think it would be hard to overdo it!

contrarian said:
I have used both in brews and once in the same brew adding the powder to the boil and the nibs during fermentation. This was for a double chocolate stout.

I think for 40L into the fermenter I used 500g and it certainly wasn't over powering. Might be different if added to the fermenter.

If you are aiming for a distinct chocolate flavour I think it would be hard to overdo it!
thank you for your imput gives me a bit of confidence to use the ground stuff I think it's a 23 l batch so i'll be goin for it thanks all who replied
ken

Latest posts

Back