Buying Kegging Gear From The States

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been talking and talking (with GMK) about ordering my kegging equipment from the states (either from morebeer or stpats) I have no pref.
What I'm thinking of doing is getting the more expensive / hard to source stuff from the US, and then completing the system from local stores (ie. for the beer / gas line etc).

I'll list what I'm thinking of getting from the states below, (with pricing), I'm interested in peoples opinions as to whether I should source more, or less from the states, or if I've missed something. I'm also really confused about duty that might be payable on top of everything else.

Q's 1) Should I go ahead and order from US or stay local (ie. will duty punish me)
2) How should I ship to minimise duty / freight / tax (don't mind waiting a month or two)
3) Should I add anything else?
4) if sea freight is based on space only, should i order a mash tun to put all the bits in :) ?

Morebeer part numbers

1 x D1060 $54.95 -CO2 Dual guage reg
2 x D1255S $79.90 -SS Faucet/Knob/Shank
2 x D1249 $2.95 -Shank Collar - Staniless (to tidy up the hole)
1 x D1870 $11 -In-Line Check/Ball Valve (for gassing outside the fridge)
2 x KEG460 $5.95-Body Connect -GasIn (I assume this is what connects gas to keg
2 x KEG470 $5.95-Body Connect -Bev.Out

If it won't make duty a problem, I'm happy to add other peoples stuff onto my order to share freight/help out/avoid minimum orders.

I'm seriously thinking about justing walking into a shop and buying the lot coz it might be easier .....

Oh yeah, meant to say, thanks for any input you may / maynot want to have :D

I can't be certain boots but I think I read somewhere (actually I know I read somewhere, I can only assume it's correct) that the CO2 regs from the states are not compatible with our CO2 bottles, hence you wouldn't be able to buy a CO2 bottle from the states and get it filled here because of the different fittings. The story I read involved a guy who bought a reg from the states, got it back here then discovered it didn't fit so he's now trying to source a fitter to turn up an adaptor so he can use it. Don't know how correct this is but? I think the thread on CO2 bottles here is a 7/8" UNF thread.

To work out duty, go to the Usa Ebay thread (page 4) and hoops has outlined how to calculate it.

St. Pats won't deal with you unless your order is $300+ US, this means that what ever you buy your going to be paying duty and GST on it. Morebeer doesn't have these limit, nor does Northern Brewer ($5US handling fee on international orders).

Hope it helps.

JD

Thanks Justin, I hadn't seen that thread.

I think I'll just order the taps from the states and get the rest locally - too hard basket!

Have you considered talking to Craig Deacon at Keg Systems?

He can probably refer you to people who sell that kind of equipment in SA. I know in WA, UltimateAir would be the people to talk to.

There must be some beer plumbers in your state who can help out. (Who else would have set up the gear in your pubs!)

Back