Buying A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I occasionally use Soda Stream gas bottles when on the move, but have found that they are quite expensive, and don't last long. Hire the Massive gas bottle for $22 a year, and that is less than the cost buying your first Sodastream bottle! And it should last a year or two...

Other problem with Sodastream gas bottle is you also need a little converter to connect them to a regulator. This will cost an additional $30-$50, depending on where you get it.

So, in trying to save money by using a Sodastream, you will actually be worse off before you even pull your first beer, and worse again after every 2-3 kegs!

I bought a "My Kegs On Legs" gas bottle. Was about $300, and I "own" it (think it is 6.8kg). Costs about $50 to swap over.

At the time I thought that that was the cheapest option over the long run, as hiring a bottle was around $120ish (a year) when I looked. HOWEVER, I have noticed that at my HBS, there is a better option if space is not a problem. The standard size hire bottles are around $130 (or something like that) a year. But they also have a HUGE one for a yearly hire of about $22!!! It is double the size (not real easy to move around probably), but it would last bloody ages. This is the CHEAPEST option to get gas for a kegging system.

I ended up buying one of these:
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7216

It has been great! I did it rather than making one as I didn't understand all the fittings, and whatnot... Also, I figured it should be cheaper to run, and it is tiny, but still fits 3 corny kegs, or a 50 liter cub keg (haven't actually tried this though).

That's the exact same fridge I have and it seems to be the same one that every LHBS rebrands and sells. I checked the one out at Brewcraft/Craftbrew/Liquorcraft and they use the exact same fridge + compressor. I got mine as many did from Pinnacle Wholesalers as per my post above with a lot more gear than the LHBS had with theirs (and a damn side cheaper). I like to support the local people but not when the price is $200 more than getting it delivered from the easy and doesn't include anywhere near as much gear.

At the time I thought that that was the cheapest option over the long run, as hiring a bottle was around $120ish (a year) when I looked. HOWEVER, I have noticed that at my HBS, there is a better option if space is not a problem. The standard size hire bottles are around $130 (or something like that) a year. But they also have a HUGE one for a yearly hire of about $22!!! It is double the size (not real easy to move around probably), but it would last bloody ages. This is the CHEAPEST option to get gas for a kegging system.

I'm interested in this option as I am planning to setup my keg fridge in the corner of the kitchen and could easily tuck the gas bottle down the side to keep it out of the way.

Got supplier details?

I'm interested in this option as I am planning to setup my keg fridge in the corner of the kitchen and could easily tuck the gas bottle down the side to keep it out of the way.

Got supplier details?

Umm, it's pretty big, so not sure if you could "tuck" it out of the way.( ie., it is much taller than a bar fridge). But I think it is similar diameter as the smaller bottle. ie., http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=7219 (Can you buy that bottle, or is that a re-fill price?)

The HBS that I've seen it in is:
http://www.greensboroughhomebrew.com.au/

However, the website is new, and does not have the products online yet. But I'm sure Dave could help if you called him. BTW, it's in Greensborough, Melbourne.

Yeah, I did see that Pinnacle Wholesalers sells them cheaper, and with more kit (ie., double font, regulator, and CUB couplers!!!). So I was spewing once I saw that! But in the end, I have beer on tap...

Yeah, I did see that Pinnacle Wholesalers sells them cheaper, and with more kit (ie., double font, regulator, and CUB couplers!!!). So I was spewing once I saw that! But in the end, I have beer on tap...

Yer it happens, but hey your 100% right, you have beer on tap so does it really matter now..

Wish I could say the same, I have it setup just the beer isn't quite aged enough yet. And still trying to clean out the ginger beer smell from my fermenter :(

Umm, it's pretty big, so not sure if you could "tuck" it out of the way.( ie., it is much taller than a bar fridge). But I think it is similar diameter as the smaller bottle.

I plan on getting an upsidedown fridge/freezer so the missus can have her freezer back once I take my hops out of it.....

I occasionally use Soda Stream gas bottles when on the move, but have found that they are quite expensive, and don't last long. Hire the Massive gas bottle for $22 a year, and that is less than the cost buying your first Sodastream bottle! And it should last a year or two...

Other problem with Sodastream gas bottle is you also need a little converter to connect them to a regulator. This will cost an additional $30-$50, depending on where you get it.

So, in trying to save money by using a Sodastream, you will actually be worse off before you even pull your first beer, and worse again after every 2-3 kegs!

$22 a year??????
Why is this so cheap? Does it have the same safety standards etc? Sounds too good to be true, but if you've got one... Only problem is I'm on the North Gold Coast so a little far to travel to pick one up!
I have a soda stream attachment as part of that kit so a soda stream bottle at $20 is the cheapest shortterm option for me so I can spend cash on kegs instead of CO2 bottles. But if I could get a 9kg bottle for $22/yr.....

Its been discussed before but i think you will find its the old stock cast steel cylinders in the "F" size which are bigger then the average man and weigh as much as 2 big blokes (Newer cylinders are made of aluminum and are considerably lighter)
These things are seriously big and heavy but if you have the room for em and somewhere safe away from kids id say go for it :p

Tom

I have 44 stairs to my apartment..........

The F size just started to look unappealing. :(

Got supplier details?

Talk to the guy who sells corny kegs on eBay. His eBay ID is 'the_kegging_company".

He sorted me out with a C02 bottle. Bloody good, and quite reasonable. Don't remember how much it was exactly, but I'm sure if you inquire he'll tell you. Worth a go.

Latest posts

Back