Buying A Kegerator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys. First post, but an avid reader of the forum- a real lifeline to those who of us who are in the early years of homebrewing.

I'm trying to decide the best kegerator setup. As discussed on here previously there are a number of options on ebay and Pinnacle that sell for around $500 or so. This doesn't seem much more than a DIY job and anything that cuts down the time and work between me and draft beer at home wins my vote.

One seller local to me (so no delivery) also includes a DOT approved CO2 bottle; is it worth it? Can you fill these up easily enough and are they safe? It sounds like a deal winner but in 6 months time I don't want to have to buy another bottle or rent as I can't fill the one I have.
On the same note, I see some use other items, ie extinguishers or soda stream bottles, are these viable alternatives?

Can anyone outline the advantages of building your own setup as oppose to a ready built job; as a relative newbie, the finished article seems an attractive option and a shortcut to draught HB.
Finally, on what looks like a US designed kegerator, do u reckon it would be compatible with corny kegs without extra expense?

Thanks in advance.

DIP

Hi Drunk In Public, and welcome to the forum.

Mate, I won't confuse you with a heap personal opinion stuff, but I'll give you observations that I made whilst reserching my kegerator project.

First it took me almost three weeks to decide which way I would go i.e. build my own, should i use a fridge or freezer, should i just purchase an off-the-shelf kegerator, either way just go with the option that will make you the happiest... You don't want to be sitting back in two or three months wishing you had gone with another option.

There are many commercialy made kegerators on the market. General rule of thumb is you get what you pay for! Unless you purchase a kegerator from a reputable supplier, you can pretty much expect some part of your purchase will come back and bite you. i.e. poor electrics, spare parts availablity, parts/fittings are not interchangable, warranty, service and repair issues, gas bottle can't be filled = does not meet Australian Standards, and the list gone on :angry: .

The best thing about making your own, even though it may cost a few bucks more is... you'll get exactly what you want, and you'll have the pleasure of using and enjoying something you made yourself ,and your mates will think you are a legend for creating a master piece :super: .

I picked up my fridge for $60 from the local classified adds, even though it took me 3 months to complete (that was my choice) I could not be happier and my family and friends are now enjoying a quality piece of furniture that dispenses beer 24/7 :party: .

I have three Celli taps, and the fridge holds 6 kegs. I went for all top quality fittings, mainly because I saw this a a long-term investment.

See attached link for the before and after photos of my Kegerator...
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...si&img=3725

In closing I have to say that Ross from CraftBrewer (AHB Sponsor) was just awesome with his advice and customer service re the products I purchased for my project.

Have fun and best of luck whatever way you decide to go.

All the best
Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Carboy, when I try to see the image I get a board message that I'm not allowed to access this feature.

Carboy, when I try to see the image I get a board message that I'm not allowed to access this feature.

Appologies BribieG, I forgot to tick Public Access.... I'm Bad

Should be good now

Cheers
C :icon_cheers:

I agree with Carboy... ;)

I bought a fridge off Ebay for $10 and with a slight mod, can fit 4 full 19ltr Cornys in it with plenty more room for Tallies, Yeast whatever.. ATM im just using 2 Bronco Taps and am quite happy with that ATM, I have a Celli sitting there waiting to be installed but just waiting for another Celli before I do that..

Ive given the fridge a paint and once I install these 2 taps, will give it a finish off.. And it will look the goods and I know if the fridge shits itself its only cost me 10 bucks and I can pull the rest of the stuff off and put on another fridge..

If I had the "spare" cash I would get one of the Kegmates like Craftbrewer has with the SS 3 way Font, nice looking unit they are.. :icon_drool2:

Hello,

Those DOT Cylinder are illegal to refill, Extinguishers need testing twice as often so become expensive + using them for the purpose they are not designed for is illegal.

Any cylinder that does not have an Aust test station stamp on it can not legally be filled. (PM me for further info)

Soda stream, cheap to get the bottle but very expensive on the gas.

Plenty of cheap fridges around, the kegmates are the only ones I have seen that do not use cheap Indian or chinese taps/ regs etc.

Hello,

Those DOT Cylinder are illegal to refill, Extinguishers need testing twice as often so become expensive + using them for the purpose they are not designed for is illegal.

Any cylinder that does not have an Aust test station stamp on it can not legally be filled. (PM me for further info)

Soda stream, cheap to get the bottle but very expensive on the gas.

Plenty of cheap fridges around, the kegmates are the only ones I have seen that do not use cheap Indian or chinese taps/ regs etc.

All great advice, thanks. Don't really want to be stuck with a bottle I can't fill, or if I can isn't up to Oz safety standards tbh, so I don't think that is now a selling point.
I like the DIY idea, however I am not great at reno jobs so hopefully won't go thru too many fridge doors if I choose this option! What is a realistic idea of set up cost if I already have a suitable fridge and I pick up a couple of corny kegs refurbed for about $110?

Cheers all,
DIB

All great advice, thanks. Don't really want to be stuck with a bottle I can't fill, or if I can isn't up to Oz safety standards tbh, so I don't think that is now a selling point.
I like the DIY idea, however I am not great at reno jobs so hopefully won't go thru too many fridge doors if I choose this option! What is a realistic idea of set up cost if I already have a suitable fridge and I pick up a couple of corny kegs refurbed for about $110?

Cheers all,
DIB

Hi, here's just a basic run down, but total cost really depends on quaility i.e. cheap tap = $50, great tap = $150

Here you go...

Taps x 2 $170.00

Drip tray $80.00

Disconnects Beer x 2 $27.00

Disconnects Gas x 3 $41.00

Clamps $4.00

Verious John Guest Connectors $36.00

Regulator $100.00

Beer/Gas Hose Approx 15m $30.00

Hire Gas Bottle (BOC) $75.00 A good new 6kg bottle will cost you around $320

Non Return Valve $27.00

Beer/Gas Control Valve $24.00

GRAND TOTAL $614.00 (Excluding kegs and fridge)

I think I've covered everything, I've at least covered the expensive items. If you don't have to right tools, i.e. drill bits spanners etc you may have to add another $50-$75 for sundry items

Hope this helps

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of building my own but the extra expense and the fact that I'll be using an older/more expensive to run fridge is a consideration. Add to the that my amazing ability to ruin the fridge during the reno and I'm not sure if I might go with the ready to go type that seems so popular on the kegerator thread. Has anyone else got more loongterm feedback on these as most posts were referring to a new purchase rather than longterm use of it.

My budget btw is as low as poss! I am starting from scratch with little current equipment so a bigger spend will mean a longer wait for draught beer.

you could get a keg or 2, some beer/gas line, disconnects, a sodastream gas bottle adapter and 1 or 2 bronco taps

soda stream gas is more expensive to use but cheaper to setup ($38 per bottle and $12 per refill unless the price has gone up) and if you use a bronco tap then no fridge mod required.

You can then add the more expensive items later as your budget (or swmbo permission) becomes available

Hijjack...... how long does the soda stream canisters last... That is what Im going to be using...

(in a singing voice, along with a dance) Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....

Hijjack...... how long does the soda stream canisters last... That is what Im going to be using...

I wont sing the reply ;)

I know butters is using them and I think he can force carb 2 kegs and dispense 1 keg - really depends on how much carb in your beer.

I haven't seen hime for over a week ( haven't got a keg on at the moment :D ) but will ask him when I see him if you dont get an answer beforehand

(in a singing voice, along with a dance) Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....Three more sleeps to keg set up....

Depends on how fast your going to be drinking Katie?? :icon_drunk:
If your using for carbonating aswell i would go for a bigger Co2 bottle.... Can get on Ebay starting from $200 inc postage otherwise there was a thread about buying and refilling kegs buy someone in Perth Cheap??? Have to try and find as my bottle needs a refill?

Being the proud owner of one of the most definately US design keggerators i got on ebay for about $500, i'd say if you're up for it, build your own. The keg coupler was not for a corny system. Came with a gas bottle, not stamped and even if it was i couldn't it filled anywhere in sydney AND the tread on the regulator is not metric. Fortunately for me my local HBS guy put me in touch with a very friendly beer plumber who replaced what he could had converter bits milled for what he couldn't replace. All for $50 and a few beers. He even lent me a gun system while he was getting me up and running.

:party:

Not long enough Katie.... I go through them every 2 or 3 kegs if force carbing. My 6kg bottle has lasted 4 kgs and various welding jobs without moving!

cheers....probably use it for awhile.... .silly question to come probably as this equipment stuff is a little blokey for me. Lloyd will work it out.

if you only dispense them, probably only just.
even though the cylinder pressure is high enough I'm not sure the gas volume is large enoung for 2 kegs at the same time.

be interesting to find out I suppose ;)

I use Soda Stream canisters but i couldn't tell you for sure how long they last. What i can tell you for sure is that when you really need a refill they definately won't have any full ones in the shop. I keep a spare full one handy as a result. I also prime with sugar rather that force carbonating so it takes longer before my kegs are ready to drink but the gas lasts longer. :icon_cheers:

People seem pretty negative about the cheap kegerators in this thread, I will just add a balancing opinion:

Kegging in general is not a cheap option, whichever way you do it, it will cost more than bottling.

I bought a 3-keg type one and although it wasn't without some hassles (slight ding in door) overall I would say I saved about 1/3 the cost compared with a kegmate. The tap isn't a celli, but you can always change it if you aren't happy.
I went down the path of buying my own MKOL 6.8kg cylinder, because I realised that soda stream wouldn't last long and would become very exxy in the long term. Lots of people seem to like playing with extinguishers, but for me it wasn't worth the hassle, no local refiller and safety issues with a pressurised vessel not designed for the job weighed heavily on my mind.

I am very happy with my choice.

Back