Buying 40L urn...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
motorhead said:
Hey guys,
Looking for a slight upgrade to my setup already. The cheapest I've found a 40L urn for is from Billy Guyatts. $256 delivered.
http://www.billyguyatts.com.au/birko-commercial-urn-1009040.html

Anyone know of a cheaper place to buy one, or anyone who may be selling.
Not cheaper but pretty close & I'd seriously look at an exposed element urn instead of a concealed element, just my opinion but I'm glad I went that way.
Never had a problem with mine or any hassles with the auto cut out tripping the urn due to crud build up on the element. The concealed element urn tends to trip quite often & you hear a few complaints about it on here.
Out of stock at the moment though.

Go the Crown

My Crown is my life :D
From CraftBrewer

Originally I paid about $315 for a Birko from a Catering supplier but I find the Crown to be better built, especially the tap. The Birko eventually went to someone to use as a HLT.

I hope Ross gets the exposed element ones in again, maybe put yourself on the "watch list". Shouldn't cost too much to ship.

Edit: I expect the Birko has the exposed element as always. However I see they have gone onto a plastic lid, not too keen on that. Unfortunately they seem to have been cheapening the product over the years, the tap being an example, used to be a really robust thing with all metal threads, now it's far more flimsy.

I too went the exposed element route crown urn. Very happy with it. No issues with cleaning or crud building up. I see Grain and Grape stock them for $269. Not cheaper but worth spending a little bit extra for a major part of your brewery in my opinion.

In Melbourne have you considered ringing around catering and restaurant equipment suppliers, you know the ones who sell bain maries, refrigerated cabinets, deep fryers etc etc. They all do urns.

I got my 40L Birko from www.nisbets.com.au

Around $280, so yours is cheaper BUT I got 24 free coffee mugs with mine..... cant put a price on that :unsure:

I've got the concealed Crown 40L and never had a trip or any problem with it. I'd buy another crown any day. Shop around like the other blokes have said.

I've got a crown 40L concealed from CB, no tripping problems, so easy to clean works great! I think it was $279?

Bribie G said:
In Melbourne have you considered ringing around catering and restaurant equipment suppliers, you know the ones who sell bain maries, refrigerated cabinets, deep fryers etc etc. They all do urns.
FWIW, i got a friend of mine who's a chef/manager at a large-ish catering company to ring around her suppliers for a good price on a birko (or crown) several weeks ago. She assured me her guys were great & they'd definitely get an awesome bargain price. The best price ended up being only $10 cheaper than Grain&Grape.
So, i declined - preferring to support the LHBS's. (i should confess, i then snapped up a 30L one on eBay for $121 a few days later. But was otherwise intending to call G&G to buy - still not sure if i bought the wrong one...).

I acquired a 40l birko, no probs and even the plastic lid works for me better than I think an ally/ss one would.

After trying to be a tightarse for too long and wait for one on eBay, I bit the bullet and got myself a Crown. The Australian made part sealed the deal for me.

Thanks for the help guys. I can't wait to put a brew on. I'm thinking a Witbier maybe? :D

Latest posts

Back