Burnt Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agarn

Reaction score
Just did my first partial yesterday. (an APA). All seemed to be going well until I emptied the boil pot and saw the burn marks on the bottom. Have I ruined the beer or will it be OK? I only put the extract in for the last few minutes so I'm not sure if it was that or something else that burned. Please tell me it will be OK!!

Agarn,

I can't answer whether or not it will be ok, but I suspect it may just make the beer a bit darker.

Out of interest, what are you using for a kettle and how is it heated? Ie, ss, aluminium, ss with copper base plate - gas or electric...

Sloth.

Agarn,

I can't answer whether or not it will be ok, but I suspect it may just make the beer a bit darker.

Out of interest, what are you using for a kettle and how is it heated? Ie, ss, aluminium, ss with copper base plate - gas or electric...

Sloth.

Sloth,

I suspect that may be the problem. It's a cheap light weight ss jobby. Just thought I'd be a tight ass until I did some experimenting. I used it on a gas burner and there's probably not enough ss to protect the wort from catching. I think I may be able to find a 20 l urn somewhere and modify it.

Sloth,

I suspect that that may be the problem. It's thin ss 20l pot. I thought I'd be a tight arse until I did some experimenting. I don't think it's heavy enough to stop the wort from catching on the bottom. I heated it on a gas burner.

Sloth,

I suspect that that may be the problem. It's thin ss 20l pot. I thought I'd be a tight arse until I did some experimenting. I don't think it's heavy enough to stop the wort from catching on the bottom. I heated it on a gas burner.

Oppps sorry about the multiple pots, did not think the darn thing was working.

Probably the best thing to do is sort out what size kettle you want and get a good one. Some SS kettles have a copper slab in the base which will prevent scorching. Aluminium will also avoid this problem and is easier to work.

I too am currently using a cheap ss pot but using an electric stovetop so things dont burn. Will upgrade when money permits.

PS. Might need to fix the pic, its not coming up properly.

Sloth.

When adding extract to your brew, it is very important to either remove the pot from the heat source, or turn the heat source off, add the extract, stir till dissolved, then turn the heat back on.

Otherwise the extract sinks to the bottom and scorches.

Your pictures are way too big, delete them, resize them and then edit your post and post them again. On adsl they were taking ages to load up, I didn't even see them. Dialup would take all day.

Otherwise the extract sinks to the bottom and scorches.

sorry to but in, but is it possible to scorch grain in a mashtun, while direct heating to attain target temperature ?

oh yeah. definitely. keep stirring while you're heating :)

I have a cheap thin SS kettle, but I do AG so scorching is not an issue...

How bad are the scorch marks....??

To put your mind at ease....if it tastes OK it will be OK..

I wouldn't worry to much, I was doing an extract brew a couple of years ago, and exactly what pint of lager said happened, after a few minutes into a 60 minute boil I noticed that there where dark lumps floating in the pot, then after a while, little 'sheets' of burnt extract. I let it go, it was an IPA, entered it into the 2006 ANAWBS and it got a first place in it's class.
It ended up being a great beer and I could never make it as good again.
So I wouldn't worry to much about it, if it turns out great, just remember to burn some next time. ;)

Latest posts

Back