Burner Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

achy02

Reaction score
Hi all,

I went to use my Italian Spiral Burner for the second time today. I tried to light it three times and each time I got a massive 'phoof' of flame which shot up from as far back as the gas hose. After the first time I turned the gas on the lowest possible setting and still had the same problem. I checked all of the holes and couldn't see any blockages. Any ideas?

Aches

Hi all,

I went to use my Italian Spiral Burner for the second time today. I tried to light it three times and each time I got a massive 'phoof' of flame which shot up from as far back as the gas hose. After the first time I turned the gas on the lowest possible setting and still had the same problem. I checked all of the holes and couldn't see any blockages. Any ideas?

Aches
Aches,

Have you got it running through a medium/high pressure regulator?
Did it work the first time you used it?
Did you muck with the regulator?
Where is the flame shooting out from?
Do you have the air intake (sleeve) open?
Have wasps built homes in your jets (happens to me all the time if I don't cover it)? Use a wooden skewer from the cooking drawer to clear. :icon_cheers:

BTW - I love my ISB!

PB

Thanks Pocket,

I initially had the reg up high. I then adjusted it to the min, so I could just hear gas coming through when I turned the knob. Either way it still did the same thing. Basically rather than the flame catching it flashes (taking some of my arm hair) and flame comes out as far back as the area where the gas enter the burner. I will try and clean it out with the wooden skewer and see what comes out. I am just worried about using it again in case it goes bang.

PS the air intake is fully open
also it worked fantastically the last time I used it.

Cheers

Aches

Are there special brushes that can be used to clean the burner?

Thanks Pocket,

I initially had the reg up high. I then adjusted it to the min, so I could just hear gas coming through when I turned the knob. Either way it still did the same thing. Basically rather than the flame catching it flashes (taking some of my arm hair) and flame comes out as far back as the area where the gas enter the burner. I will try and clean it out with the wooden skewer and see what comes out. I am just worried about using it again in case it goes bang.

PS the air intake is fully open
also it worked fantastically the last time I used it.

Cheers

Aches
Achy,

It all depends on your equipment where you need to have your regulator set....Once you get it right...leave it forever.
My sleeve is open 3/4.

You can make the finer adjustments to the flame (once you get the air/gas and pressure combo right) with the dial on the end of the burner.....BTW make sure that this isn't your problem ie. fully closed stopping the gas getting through to the jets properly.
It does sound like a blockage of some kind....could be anywhere.

For testing to see if the jets are blocked or not and for your safety, maybe hook up a standard regulator to the burner and see if you get gas to flow through and ignite at the jets etc......

Let us know how you get on....

If none of this works maybe give your retailer a call and discuss...

Cheers,

PB

Latest posts

Back