Bumper Grain Harvest...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gough

Maintain the Rage!
Reaction score
Wonder if this will result in cheaper domestic grain prices?? Somehow I doubt it...

Link

Shawn.

Ah, yes, but with these oil prices going up, terrorism and undoubtedly numerous other "reasons", I would be very surprised if there were any price reductions. Sticky downward prices - John Maynard Keynes was a clever man.

I remember when I used to play a lot of guitar, all teh equipment was imported. When the exchange rate went down to around 50c, they all cried fowl and put prices up. Since then the exchange rate has had a 50% appreciation and I have not seen a single bit of evidence of prices falling to reflect that. There's a middle man out there somewhere getting very rich!

T.D. said:
There's a middle man out there somewhere getting very rich!
[post="108435"][/post]​

The money changers! Cast them from the temple!!!!

Hope everyone likes wheat beers. Im guessing there might be a bit of left over wheat in Aus this year.

My mum works for a company that buys grain from farmers, tests it then sells it as feed etc, they sell a hell of a lot of malting-grade grain to the maltsters. It's rediculously cheap anyway, something like $100 tonne, shame its not malted when it passes thru there :(

Most of the price hike is @ the maltster, not the farmer or merchant.

Bugger,
Id much rather pay more money to the farmers than the maltsters.

Yeah me too.
If the maltsters buy at $100/tonne and sell for $35ish/25kg, thats 14x increase! I understand theres a lot of work and labour and energy involved, but wow!
Even if I'm way off and its closer to $200/tonne, thats still a 7x increase.

Actually, I just remembered Mum mentioned that they have their own malting machine where she works(probably to cash in on a lucrative(?) market) but no-one there knows how to use it! :wacko: :blink:

Anyone tried malting their own grain?

:beer:

Simon W said:
Actually, I just remembered Mum mentioned that they have their own malting machine where she works(probably to cash in on a lucrative(?) market) but no-one there knows how to use it!
[post="108581"][/post]​

I know how to operate that machine as long as it is working order and they don't mind a couple of trial runs (go google you're my firend ;) )

edit: hell if it's not in working order there is possibly a way to get it going (any one who works in IT will know what I'm on about)

Richard and nonicman, have been thinking about it, seriously need the work!

nonicman said:
I know how to operate that machine as long as it is working order and they don't mind a couple of trial runs (go google you're my firend wink.gif )

Was thinking that myself a few months ago. However, this mob have a very bad reputation and a very high employee turnover. not sure I'd be working for them no matter how desperate I am. Biggest Grain merchant in the west, and they run it like a small business, and witha sizable attitude, got no idea. perfect opportunity for another company to come in under them and steal their customer base, trust me, alot of thier clients would love an alternative!
Was thinking of asking mum if they'd be interested in selling the malting machine, gave up on the idea tho.

Simon W said:
Richard and nonicman, have been thinking about it, seriously need the work!

nonicman said:
I know how to operate that machine as long as it is working order and they don't mind a couple of trial runs (go google you're my firend wink.gif )

Was thinking that myself a few months ago. However, this mob have a very bad reputation and a very high employee turnover. not sure I'd be working for them no matter how desperate I am. Biggest Grain merchant in the west, and they run it like a small business, and witha sizable attitude, got no idea. perfect opportunity for another company to come in under them and steal their customer base, trust me, alot of thier clients would love an alternative!
Was thinking of asking mum if they'd be interested in selling the malting machine, gave up on the idea tho.
[post="108630"][/post]​
maybe you could lease the machine and just buy grain from them could be a business opportunity.
:beer:

Watched men working at the Malthouse as a kid, can't be that difficult. Put very simply: Spread grain out on the floor and sprinkle it with water in a low light room. Keep it moist, turn it over with big shovels every few hours until it starts to warm. Increase turning rate until it has all germinated (just sprouted, tiny shoot), then put it in a kiln (oven) and heat to stop germination and dry sufficiently for storage. After malting it can be heated/roasted to give varying styles. Most of the old breweries had malthouses attached: ie. Bulimba (later taken over by CUB) Brewery in Toowoomba

berto said:
Hope everyone likes wheat beers. Im guessing there might be a bit of left over wheat in Aus this year.
[post="108464"][/post]​

No not all of us like wheat beers....yuk! <_<

Batz

Have to agree with Batz,

after many unsuccessful attempts wheat beer and my taste buds just cant get on! we agree to keep a respectful distance. <_<

I find them pretty hard to consume on their own OTOH I reckon they're most food-friendly beer you can consume.

Warren -

OK, have to fix up an earlier post; the grain merchant I mentioned earlier buys malting quality grain from farmers for around $180 to $200 a tonne.
So the Maltsers aren't getting it as cheaply as I thought.
Yet to find out how much the maltsters are paying for it.

Have a small sample bag(250g) of 2-row malting barley sitting in front of me, It's exactly the same barley they sell to Joe White.
When I get back from Holi's, I might try malting my own for a bit of fun :D

Simo

Edit: speeling

Anyone tried malting their own grain?

yep B)

there was an excellent site that i bookmarked but i didn't archive
then the site dissapeared
anyway it was a new york guy who malted all his own grain - excellent site!
he was malting rye and everything he could get his hands on
this dude was doing his in like a flat chicken coop (looked like a 6x4 trailer) with a "space heater" in one end. I think you'd call that a fan heater here.

so i did some and my 1st lot rocked! i was a little impatient and still had highish moisture levels so i got crystal grain around the edges and kinda roasted munich in the middle. Probably as well modified as a stock standard Hyundai Excel, but I used it as an adjunct.

anyway, my second lot just went mouldy so i never when what happened, but i will persist because A - i can get free barley/wheat, and
B - a cider making friend keeps telling me "you'll never make truly unique beer until you malt your own grain and grow your own hops"
easy for him to say, he just grows apples.

i think with this hobby, you gotta remember, some scotsman was doing this hundreds of years ago, without a wort chiller or a refractometer, so I reckon it's not all science.

tangent said:
i think with this hobby, you gotta remember, some scotsman was doing this hundreds of years ago, without a wort chiller or a refractometer, so I reckon it's not all science.
[post="109525"][/post]​
Very true. But how good was it? But I didn't think Stu was that old.

I am pretty sure Pint Of Lager malts some grain at home.

Even if you didn't get it really well modified you can do a step mash to make sure you get the most out of it. With the money you save who cares if your efficiency is lower as long as it tastes good?

OK, have to fix up an earlier post; the grain merchant I mentioned earlier buys malting quality grain from farmers for around $180 to $200 a tonne.
So the Maltsers aren't getting it as cheaply as I thought.
Yet to find out how much the maltsters are paying for it.

Glad you did that. Couldnt figure what sort of quality would be changing hands for $100 when I know Joe White paid up to $220/tonne for the best malting barley last season.

Dont expect to see any change in local malt pricing this season though. All the major maltings are fully committed for both local and export orders.

Wes

Latest posts

Back