Bulk Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v8manic

Reaction score
Ok this is probably a stupid question but i want to find out about bulk priming i can't seem to get my head around the wiki on it cause it is very vague. I'm trying to work out how much sugar i should use for 23l if i'm suppose to boil it like some say, if so how much water do i boil it in? What sort of sugar should i use? should i just add this to my already racked beer or get another fermentor and transfer it to this then bottle?
Sorry for so many questions just trying to work out best way cause sick of wrecking beer
Cheers and Beers
Wade

The answer Wade is it all depends!

What style of beer are you trying to bulk prime? Some styles are highly carbonated such as wheat beers, lagers are between medium and high and ales between low and medium.
You can use plain old sugar, caster sugar, honey, dextrose and even malt extract.
Have a read here and it may help somewhat:

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/...lkPriming.shtml

Failing that, when I bottle I go for 4 grams per litre for most ales and 6 grams per litre for lagers and Belgian style ales.
I don't brew wheat beers so not sure but I reckon 7 to 8 grams per litre would be okay.

I hope this helps.

&B
TDA

Hi Wade,

Try this page to help.

Basically, use as little water as you need to dissolve the sugar. Sugar - take your pick, but plain white sugar or dextrose (maybe LDME) would be most frequently used. Boil then cool, into the bottom of a spare fermenter (sanitized), rack finished beer onto priming solution and bottle from there.

Hopefully that's clear.

Cheers,

microbe

[disclaimer] - this is only theory as I've only done it once and think I infected that batch (but I only had one fermenter) [/disclaimer]

Edit - beaten by this much

Thanks guys i'll try this on the current beer that is ready to bottle doesn't matter to much if i stuff it up cause i think it's already stuffed. Will try that tomorrow in between making the missus a lovely seafood dinner and getting sleep ready for night shift.

Hi Wade,

Try this page to help.

Basically, use as little water as you need to dissolve the sugar. Sugar - take your pick, but plain white sugar or dextrose (maybe LDME) would be most frequently used. Boil then cool, into the bottom of a spare fermenter (sanitized), rack finished beer onto priming solution and bottle from there.

Hopefully that's clear.

Cheers,

microbe

[disclaimer] - this is only theory as I've only done it once and think I infected that batch (but I only had one fermenter) [/disclaimer]

Edit - beaten by this much

That's how i have always done it minus the infection :p

Latest posts

Back