Bulk Priming Query

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC8

Reaction score
Hello All,
I a new brewer with only 4 brews completed. I have a question (or two) about bulk priming. I have managed to secure a number of Grolcsh bottles from a mate (a former home brewer) and I know I should bulk prime as they are different sizes.

What sugar should I use? Normal white, Dextrose, brewing sugar etc... I am not sure. I intend to bulk prime for the first time tomorrow and was planning to use dextrose, but my LHBS advised me to use plain white sugar. This is different to other advice I've received from friends who brew. What difference does it make? The guy at the shop was a bit vague about the reasons why. Can anybody explain. I had a look at the Palmer How to Brew site, but there is no mention of Dextrose for priming there. Any advice?

Regards,

Matt

For priming, it makes no difference at all. I prefer plain white sugar, simply because it's easier to handle than dextrose. The small amount going into the bottle means pretty much if there is a difference between the two, it'll be so small you wont notice.

Edit: F**k me there's alot of Matt's on this forum

I believe dextrose is made up of a % of water, so you have to use a little more. Not sure on the % but its only like 5%, so a few grams over the whole batch.

?

Dextrose is glucose. Glucose can break down into water and carbon in the right circumstance as can sucrose. Fermentability is so close to being the same I would treat both the same.

Dextrose only contains water if you get it wet.

[post="442870"]this one[/post] [post="445736"]and this one[/post]

it was also referenced on brew strong maybe on the bottling show, palmer mentioned that cane sugar doesn't absorb water, dextrose does or something along those lines, but I can't be arsed searching through all the eps to find the exact wording

either way, its not majorly important, and the bulk priming calc works it out anyway

What I would take from my quick skim read of that is this:

Given that the difference in the carbonation between 123g and 135 grams, over a 23L batch, equates to just over 0.1 volumes of CO2, I see it as an academic argument anyway; particularly given the tolerence and accuracy of measurement, for the sugar itself, and, more importantly, for the specific volume of liquid to be carbonated, and the temperature achieved during fermentation (and the timing of that temperature, relevant to the cessation of CO2 production from the fermentation itself). There are already so many approximations in the process, anyway.

Absorption of water is different to contains water. Water would make it wet unless it was steam or ice. I could be wrong but I'm not sure if you can precipitate or crystallise water and make it part of a dried substance. Certainly the balance of hydrogen to oxygen atoms in a glucose molecule are in the right ratio but they are in sucrose as well (and possibly most other sugars)

Read this article today on Brew Your Own magazine from October 2006.

A little hard to read, but I was trying to save on size.

Article copyright BYO Magazine.

Latest posts

Back