Bulk Prime Toucan Draught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hijax

Reaction score
G'day all,

Im about to bottle a morgans toucan stockmans draught and im going to try bulk priming for my first time. Iv had very inconsistant results previously from using a scoop and im getting really sick of flat beer!!!

Can anyone recomend a good amout of dextrose to bulk prime 22ltrs of draught. Ive used a calculator but im unsure of how carbonated an aussie draught should be.

I also bought some coopers carb lollies but for what ive heard, theyre a waste of time.

I just want my beer to be carbonated nicely for a change!!!!

Cheers!

I don't bottle much these days as i moved to kegs, but when i do bottle i usually do around 110/120g Dextrose for a 20litre batch. I don't know if this is to style, and to be honest it doesn't usually worry me if it isn't. I've just found a level of carbonation that i like, so that's what i do. If you are doing 22lt, maybe you could try 120/130g maybe?

at my dosage rate, my beer comes out at a nice carbonation level, not to gassy, but theres definitely bubbles. Head remains for the whole glass, and i get nice lacing rings down my glass too. When you twist the top off, you get a nice hissing sound and a little bit of "smoke" escaping from the glass.

It works for me, but "stylistically" i could be way off the mark. As i said, most of my beers, particularly my All Grains go into kegs. I do the odd can though if i'm in a hurry and need to replace stocks.

someone else will no doubt have a more accurate answer for you.

as far as method goes, just in case you are unsure. I add my dextrose to a pyrex glass jug, and fill jug to 500ml mark with boiling water from the kettle. Stir until sugar has completely dissolved, add to cube/jerry can/spare fermenter whatever you're using to bottle from. Then carefully transfer using some kind of food grade/silicone tubing the beer into this container. You will get a little bubbling and most likely a small amount of foaming, but unless you are pouring it in and "aerating" the wort, you will be fine. Attach bottling thingy, and away you go. Consistent carbonation everytime. Just need to find the level of carbonation that you like.

cheers,

Nath

It is all a matter of personal preference really I go about 150g of dex for 22l but I like beer to be quite well carbonated similar to shop bought bottled beers.

I did 120gm for a dark ale and it took about a month to carbonate well.Then did 150gm for a porter and thats well carbed after 2 weeks.Ive been told you can go as high as 180gms for a pub style of beer.I did a pale ale a while ago and used the lollies and that carbed up after one week.I always bottle a couple of stubbies each time for testing purposes,also helps me to learn more about the process.
One tip i got was to put the racking tube into my bottling barrel in a circular fashion so that it creates a slight whirlpool as the beer goes in giving an even spread of dextrose.

One tip i got was to put the racking tube into my bottling barrel in a circular fashion so that it creates a slight whirlpool as the beer goes in giving an even spread of dextrose.

+1 yeah, that's exactly what i do. Works a treat!

Assuming you fermented at 20C, 150g will give you 4.5g of CO2 per litre or 2.3 volumes, which is about middle of the range, and good for the beer you have brewed IMO.

As dx3 suggested rack the beer into a bottling bucket or spare fermenter, that contains the dextrose solution (dissolved dex in about 200ml of water - ensure its all clean and sanitised).

Cheers

Back