Bulk Primed......and It Worked!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitman

Reaction score
G'day,

Approximately one month ago i bulk primed a Coopers Lager with dextrose as i was bottling into PET bottles of differing sizes.

Being the first time i have done this i poured the dex straight into the primary, gently stir, and gave it about 20 min to settle and then began bottling.

I learnt after that dissolving the dex in hot water is the preferred method and i am still getting around to securing a bottling bucket and siphon, but after cracking a few last night they are as carbed up and as good as anything i have done previously using carb drops, and dex is cheap.

Your thoughts?

Way to go. ;)

Bulkpriming is ideal way to get an even carbonation in bottles.

Yes disolve the sugar on stove top.
If you preboil the liquid you disolve the sugar in it will be sterile too.
Don't forget it on stove though LOL

G'day,

Approximately one month ago i bulk primed a Coopers Lager with dextrose as i was bottling into PET bottles of differing sizes.

Being the first time i have done this i poured the dex straight into the primary, gently stir, and gave it about 20 min to settle and then began bottling.

I learnt after that dissolving the dex in hot water is the preferred method and i am still getting around to securing a bottling bucket and siphon, but after cracking a few last night they are as carbed up and as good as anything i have done previously using carb drops, and dex is cheap.

Your thoughts?

I've always (except my first ever brew) bulked primed, I just calculate how much dex is needed to obtain the desired level of carbonation, weigh it out, stir it in leave it for about 15-20 mins and bottle, have never had a problem.

It's a great system bulk priming especially when you have bottles that are all different volumes, it wouldn't be hard to add too much sugar to one by accident....... :unsure: . Keep with the bulk priming the way you do now and you shouldn't have any problems.

Aaron

I've always (except my first ever brew) bulked primed, I just calculate how much dex is needed to obtain the desired level of carbonation, weigh it out, stir it in leave it for about 15-20 mins and bottle, have never had a problem.

It's a great system bulk priming especially when you have bottles that are all different volumes, it wouldn't be hard to add too much sugar to one by accident....... :unsure: . Keep with the bulk priming the way you do now and you shouldn't have any problems.

Aaron

Hello,

How do you calculate how much dextrose you need to bulk prime? Eg how many grams per litre do you use??

Hello,

How do you calculate how much dextrose you need to bulk prime? Eg how many grams per litre do you use??

use a bulk priming calculator: check the link in my sig

Thanks All.......my next brew is going to be bulked prime for sure!

Cheers!

In my own convoluted take on reality, the method utilised for ensuring my peace of mind is to mix up the priming sugar in a couple of hundred ml's of 'just-boiled' water till it's all dissolved, and proceed to 'feed' the priming bucket with the syrup over the entire duration of the transfer, instead of dumping it all in at the beginning. I bring the hose up to just below the surface as it rises, so there is a gentle wave ripple, the liquid output travelling in a steady clockwise (or counter - it doesn't affect the beer either way!) and periodically pour my solution over that hump between a period of two litres to 18 liltres. Then when transfer is complete, a gentle stir with my slightly stiff hose in the opposite direction.

I'm comfortable with knowing that the sugars are evenly distributed then. Chucking the entire batch of priming syrup into the bucket at the start might result in noon-consistent layers of saturation - ie the early bottled brews may have a little bit more carbonation than the last couple of litres. Impossible to measure with crass instruments such as a garden-variety hydrometer, but something worth consideration in my pre-bottling regime.

I just rely on diffusion of sugar concentrated solution into non sugar concentrated solution. Whatever works though.

Then when transfer is complete, a gentle stir with my slightly stiff hose in the opposite direction.

I enjoy my brewing as much as the next bloke but that is ridiculous.

I just dump mine on top of the dissolved priming sugar but I don't see why your method couldn't possibly be more effective.

In my own convoluted take on reality, the method utilised for ensuring my peace of mind is to mix up the priming sugar in a couple of hundred ml's of 'just-boiled' water till it's all dissolved, and proceed to 'feed' the priming bucket with the syrup over the entire duration of the transfer, instead of dumping it all in at the beginning. I bring the hose up to just below the surface as it rises, so there is a gentle wave ripple, the liquid output travelling in a steady clockwise (or counter - it doesn't affect the beer either way!) and periodically pour my solution over that hump between a period of two litres to 18 liltres. Then when transfer is complete, a gentle stir with my slightly stiff hose in the opposite direction.

I'm comfortable with knowing that the sugars are evenly distributed then. Chucking the entire batch of priming syrup into the bucket at the start might result in noon-consistent layers of saturation - ie the early bottled brews may have a little bit more carbonation than the last couple of litres. Impossible to measure with crass instruments such as a garden-variety hydrometer, but something worth consideration in my pre-bottling regime.

Not rocket science, you can mix the whole freaking lot together gently, without whiches flying down to cast spells FFS. Mix it up in the bottling bucket and bottle away. Quite often if I have a few litres over when kegging, I will collect the remainder of the fermenter in a 5L jug. Work out how much sugar I need using a bulk priming calculator, add the sugar to the jug, give a GENTLE stir and bottle. Forget the Fcuking Voodoo it's just brewing

Screwy

Rubbish. I have a cast iron bucket of gecko blood and virgin's breast milk next to me every time. I only ever brew under a new moon and I wear silk singlets embossed with the Norwegian brewing rune. It's never failed me yet but the one time I forgot the sigil singlet (did everything else) my sow died.

Stick your rocket scinece, I'm going with asatru

Forget the Fcuking Voodoo it's just brewing

For you, perhaps.

But for me every batch is a new life experience, a deeply spiritual awakening. At the very least, my cauldron management regime as outlined above does no harm to the universe, and to the detracters I say phooey. There have been no implicit reccomendations for anyone else to follow this pathway to batch-primiing enlightenment.

Rubbish. I have a cast iron bucket of gecko blood and virgin's breast milk next to me every time. I only ever brew under a new moon and I wear silk singlets embossed with the Norwegian brewing rune. It's never failed me yet but the one time I forgot the sigil singlet (did everything else) my sow died.

Stick your rocket scinece, I'm going with asatru

:lol: ROTFLMGO

No big thing. Sold by the sponsors at the top of the site (no affiliation etc etc) along with yeast tractors, airlock kittens and the beer you make beer from.

How many flavours in the range ? Beyond 'left' & 'right' everything else is going to be an artificial additive.

Back