Bulk Prime For Keg Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjp

Reaction score
Hi all, a mate of mine (with no net access) was telling me today he's sick of keeping an account with BOC since he only makes 6 or 7 brews a year,so is thinking of giving it up.- I suggested he could always bulk prime before kegging instead of gassing(correct me if I'm wrong-I'm a bottler)so thought I'd ask the question on his behalf-can it work? The brew he is thinking of is

kit CPAx2 , 3kg llme , 1kg ldme, 500dex.(he aint interested in grain,hop,or boil)-what would anyone "GUESS" is a decent amount of bulk prime dex or white sugar for a 50l brew?

Bulk priming a keg is often done at a half the rate for that of priming a bottle. But don't forget that he will still need gas to dispense.

I bulk prime 23litres into bottles with 200g of white sugar.
Some would argue that I use too much.

There are many sites that give tables:

http://www.byo.com/resources/carbonation
http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/A...for_Carbonation

There is a calculator somewhere where you enter the carbonation level you are chasing, and the type of sugar you are using to prime and it tells you how much you should use.

Bulk priming a keg is often done at a half the rate for that of priming a bottle. But don't forget that he will still need gas to dispense.

If goomboogo is correct about 1/2 the rate for kegging, then you need around 50g per 10 litres, or 500g for 50l.

Also as goomboogo noted, your mate will still need CO2 for dispensing. Maybe if he bulk primes, he could get away with using a few SodaStream bottles a year??

Hi all, a mate of mine (with no net access) was telling me today he's sick of keeping an account with BOC since he only makes 6 or 7 brews a year,so is thinking of giving it up.- I suggested he could always bulk prime before kegging instead of gassing(correct me if I'm wrong-I'm a bottler)so thought I'd ask the question on his behalf-can it work? The brew he is thinking of is

kit CPAx2 , 3kg llme , 1kg ldme, 500dex.(he aint interested in grain,hop,or boil)-what would anyone "GUESS" is a decent amount of bulk prime dex or white sugar for a 50l brew?
I use 100g sugar/corny. Works fine. He will need gas to dispense which he could get in a sodastream gas bottle for $39 at kmart.... with exchanges being $12. When you are naturally carbonating you only need a small bottle and a sodastream is perfect for the job.

I cant see how priming a keg works as my kegs leak till the pressure is pushes the lid up so if the pressure gradually increases wouldnt most of it escape before it forms a airtight seal??? or maybe mine doesnt seal properly i am not sure lol

Back