Bulk Prime calc - Cold crashed beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storeboughtcheeseburgers

Reaction score
I've just racked my cc'd beer to the bucket - and I've filled out the calculator here

I am aiming for about 2.6 and have 9 Litres - I punched in the wort is probably at around 4 degrees - I usually prime at room temp - ab out 5.8g per litre.

But cuz it is colder it says less priming sugar? I suppose this is because when its warmer it ferments some of the solution out during bottling process?

Don't want to create bottle bombs!

Since you reduced the temperature post-fermentation, the amount of dissolved CO2 is not going to increase. I would set the calculator at whatever temperature your fermenter was, at the time of the last yeast activity.

You should us the warmest temp that the beer has been post fermentation* as the beer retains the least Co2 in solution at this point. As you cool the beer down to CC temps, it won't reintegrate the Co2 it released at those warmer temps, so you need to put the warmer temps in to the calculator.

* there seems to be a lack of consensus on this, with some people recommending the warmest temp during fermentation. Remember that while fermentation is still active, Co2 is still being produced, so if the warmest temp is early in fermentation, this may cause carb calcs to underestimate the Co2 in solution.

I made the mistake of putting into the calc the temp at bottling which was lower then fermenting temp grossly under crabbed

zooesk said:
I made the mistake of putting into the calc the temp at bottling which was lower then fermenting temp grossly under crabbed
Nothing worse than undercrabbed beer!

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410062262.918217.jpg

Lol - yes I am glad I am asked - and even more glad I have finished bottling! Definitely the most annoying bleergh part of the brew process. Probably the most long winded too.. sigh. Beer in 2 weeks but. :D

storeboughtcheeseburgers said:
Lol - yes I am glad I am asked - and even more glad I have finished bottling! Definitely the most annoying bleergh part of the brew process. Probably the most long winded too.. sigh. Beer in 2 weeks but. :D
Most long winded? You don't do AG do you?

I undercarbed a beer once & opened each bottle to add more sugar (via a syringe). The resulting beer tasted strongly of apple cider, despite tasting fine, but undercarbed before.

Latest posts

Back