Bulk Idophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wife and I do the bib track once and a while , down Walpole , usually do 3 camps , that takes us 3 days
We like to take in the place , not a lot of trees where we live
We love the Franklin Camp

back to this thread

I am talking more about phosphoric acid , dairy farmers use this

I am keen to buy this in bulk with someone in Perth area , I'll arrange freight for my share

Can't be that difficult guys

Batz

do you know if there are any retrictions on posting/shipping phos acid?

Hoops

There might be issues with sending corrosives (I don't know how corrosive it really is though) like that in the post but iodophor can be posted ok, well at least I have recieved it in the post before from ESB in Sydney.

I might call around and try find somewhere in Brisvages to get stuff bulk.
Anyone around Brizzy interested?
I'm thinking Phosphoric acid, sodium percarbonate and idophor.

Hi Guys,

hoopsunitedbrewery I got this in brissy. But they have an office in vic too.

I have posted this info before.

I did some research and found a product called "ELIMINATE". It is a commercial grade product used in the dairy industry. It is a lo-foam liquid phosphoric acid. I paid $40 for 5ltr and is diluted @ 20ml for 10 ltr.

so
2ml = 1 ltr
5ltr makes 2500 ltrs
around 1.6 cents a ltr

This stuff apparently is used just like one-shot, just let the solution pass over and no rinse required.

I was lucky to get a 5ltr lot, but the guy said that they are no doing any more 5ltr lots as the dairy farmers need more. Maybe some guys could split a 20l one up. They are $140 for 20l.

Have been using this stuff for about 2 1/2 mths now and it is great.

url: http://www.dasco.com.au/acidic_products.htm

Cheers,
Dave

phosphoric_acid.jpg

Hi guys,
I use a product called "MARINE CLEAN" which is the same concentration of phosphoric acid as as ELIMINATE, in fact if you compare MSDS sheets it appears to be the same gear.
Marine Clean is a DOMINANT CHEMICALS product and could probably be sourced a lot easier than Eliminate.
What I would like to find out is the brand of the surfactant that Grumpys use in their One Shot as it is an odourless detergent.
If I new this I could then make the same mix.
I currently use a couple of drops ONLY of Morning Fresh dish washing liquid, and I mean only a couple of drops and it all seems to work OK.
In fact it is brilliant for cleaning that brown stain (beer stone ) from kegs and fermenters.
Marine clean, last time I bought it was about $40 for five litres but it would last a life time if you only used it in home brew cleaning.
Cheers

Thank Dicko
Great help , I'll ring our local boating shop

Batz

Hi Batz,
No joke intended but your reply was good :lol: :D
although you never know if you never ask. You might find they stock it if they supply to the commercial fishing sector.
Dominant Chemicals supply a lot of gear at times to the mining and construction industry and I thought that if your employer purchases other chemicals from Dominant then you would easily source Marine Clean from that supplier.
There could be other suppliers as well, after all it is only Phophoric acid we are talking about.

Anyway mate, good luck with your search.
Cheers

Dave

you're a champion. Saved me heaps of time and stuffing around.
Anyone in Brisbane interested in splitting a 20L of the "eliminate" Phosporic acid?
If not I may get a 5L of IOPHOS.

Even better, I found a distributer in Toowoomba, now I just need some brewers to split it up with.

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
sodium percarbonate
Sodium percarbonate is available from the supermarket under the brandname "Napisan". Even better is the no-name varieties of nappy cleaner. They have a higher concentration for less money. No Frills Nappy Cleaner is a standard product in my brew cupboard. Great for cleaning out carboys (right after use and again before sanitising). The jury is still out on whether it is an effective sanitiser from a brewing perspective, but it's great for removing the "beery" smell from fermenters with a 24 hour soak.

Thanks PM

I read the same thing from one of Asher's posts. Sosman also had a post about buying a 25kg bag, may work out a lot cheaper?
I'm actually getting some sodium percarbonate from the supermarket on the way home tonight ;)
I bought some from my LHBS a while ago under the name OXYPER and was impressed with it's performance. Now I know what it is and can get it alot cheaper I'm very happy :)

Hoops

jgriffin

where are you located? You haven't filled out your location

Asher said:
Its not Iodophor (tm) but Betadine(a pure source of iodine) - better IMO

Cost $11 for 500ml bottles (1/2 what I'm paying at HBS)

Asher for now
Asher

Is that normal Betadine?
I have a 500ml bottle at home (from work).
it is marked 10% Povidone-Iodine : 1% W/V available Iodine.

Anyone else around Brisbane interested in getting bulk Idophor or Phosphoric acid?
(So far it's just jgriffin & myself for Phos acid) :(

Hoops

A couple more points on iodine for sanitising.

George Fix recommends a 25ppm solution with a contact time of 10 minutes to reduce bacteria by 1000.

Iodine does evaporate. Betadine and dairy sanitisers actually contain povodine iodine, which is some sort of carrier molecule bound with the iodine. As the iodine evaporates, the made up diluted solution gets lighter in colour. The remaining carrier molecule is said to be nutrient for some bacteria. So, use your sanitiser, then chuck it away. The stuff is so cheap, why keep a made up solution.

Asher

Is that normal Betadine?

Yep hoops Its normal Betadine (same as Iodophor).... If you can get it from work for nix - thats a cheap source in my book

Asher for now

Back