• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Bulk hop rhizomes for sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, BG

I see they have some shoots (if that's what they are popping out). Is it safe to put them in the fridge for a while or do I need to plant them straight away? I'm in Melbourne.

Thanks!

Some people recommend putting them in the fridge as a 'treatment'. The only reason I would suggest to put them in the fridge is if you are unable to plant them straight away. Ideally though you should aim to plant straight away or as soon as possible.

My experience with rhizomes is that they start to grow once removed from the parent crown. Some varieties grow more than others. Quite often you will get a few eyes breaking the surface after planting. Don't worry about covering them up, they are frost hardy. And don't go hacking them off which is sometimes suggested to do. When the weather warms up they will start to grow vigorously and can be trained up string.

Got the package today. Thank you very much, I'm very impressed with the quality and quantity!
Can't wait to plant these babies.

Mine were waiting at the door the day after the payment went through. I am also surprised at the quantity! These were very well packaged, thanks!

Hey Beer God,

Do you have any Rhizomes left.

I'm interested in some of each type you have remaining.

Cheers
Youngpadge

Yet another late thread bump, wondering if there's any rhizomes left?

Cheers

This was the best purchase! Super happy, if he has more you guys will be super impressed!
Thanks again mate

Hey bud I'm interested in

Victoria $50 for 500 grams
Cascade $50 for 500 grams

hopping you still have some available cheers :)

Sorry but I don't have either of those 2 varieties left. All I have at the moment is 4 kilos of Dwarf Cluster and maybe some Columbus. I also have some Mt Hood but it is a brittle variety.

I'd be more than happy to grab 500g of the Dwarf Cluster and 500g of Columbus if you've still got them. *crosses fingers*

Cheers

hoppy2B said:
Sorry but I don't have either of those 2 varieties left. All I have at the moment is 4 kilos of Cluster that doesn't grow very well and maybe some Columbus. I also have some Mt Hood but it is a brittle variety.
FTFY

Just for clarity..

Dwarf varietiesddon't exist in Australia, there are some plants that just don't grow very well, this "dwarf " of H2B has been much disgusted over the years..

If you like, research the dwarf varieties and discover the truth....

Either way I'm really just looking to get at least something growing this season.

hoppy2B said:
I also have some Mt Hood but it is a brittle variety.
What do you mean by this hoppy? I'm just not sure what you mean comparing it to the Mount Hood I've been growing.

Mardoo said:
What do you mean by this hoppy? I'm just not sure what you mean comparing it to the Mount Hood I've been growing.
Hi Mardoo,

It means the laterals are prone to breaking off of the main bine. It could just be the strain I have ended up with. Sometimes plants morph slightly when cloned. I'd be surprised if a variety with that characteristic made it through the selection process.

Mine are grown out in the open, so it may not be as obvious with plants grown in sheltered positions. My Mt Hood definitely has an issue with laterals breaking off, compared to other varieties.

Interesting. Yeah, not exactly a commercially friendly trait. I haven't seem that in my Mount Hood. Must be mutation as you mention.

It might be that Mt Hood aren't suited to my soil type. I've noticed that others have made mention of it though.

UPDATE

I am all out of rhizomes for this year. Thank you to all those who bought rhizomes from me. Good luck growing them.

Mardoo said:
Interesting. Yeah, not exactly a commercially friendly trait. I haven't seem that in my Mount Hood. Must be mutation as you mention.
Actually Mardoo, you grow your hops as a mass up several closely spaced strings don't you? Maybe that is why you haven't seen the trait express itself in Mt Hood. I grow mine up individual strings or poles and the laterals are free to dangle to the sides, whereas the laterals on your plants would be locked together supporting each other. Or at least that is the impression I got. Correct me if I am wrong.

Back