• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Bulk hop rhizomes for sale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy2B

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm selling hops rhizomes in 500 gram packs this year. That works out to less than $4 per rhizome, with on average more than a dozen large chunky rhizomes per 500 gram pack. (They look a lot smaller in the photo below than they do in real life. A 2 year old Victoria crown only yielded about 1 and 1/2 kilos of rhizomes as an indicator.)

500 grams will be the weight of the rhizomes before packaging. Postage will be $15 and I can send 5 x 500 grams per parcel by express post for $15.

Varieties are as follows.

Victoria $50 for 500 grams
Cascade $50 for 500 grams
Cluster $40 for 500 grams
Golding $40 for 500 grams
Mt Hood $40 for 500 grams

I recommend putting at least 4 to 6 rhizomes per hole to maximize first year yields. Commercially they put 6 to 8 per mound. That will also safeguard against failure. I normally get at least 1 kilo of dry hop cones from both my Victoria and Cascade per plant.

Victoria and Cascade are the highest yielding varieties and Cluster is reputed to do well in the tropics. My fav variety is Victoria. The photo is of Victoria rhizomes.

Send me a message if you would like some rhizomes. Payment will be by bank deposit. Cheers.

Bulk hop rhizomes May 6 2015.jpg

I think that variety you're referring to is tetra Yob. When I say Cluster without any adjective etc., I am referring to the normal Cluster that grows to 5 or 6 metres.

The hop rhizomes that have been ordered so far, and any that are ordered in the next day or two, will be posted on Sunday.

How hard are these to grow? It's just a vine right.... So if I plant it in the garden along a pool fence, sit back have a beer and wait.... Will I get hops?

Can you grow hops in pots? I'm currently renting :unsure:

MiskatonicBrewhaus said:
How hard are these to grow? It's just a vine right.... So if I plant it in the garden along a pool fence, sit back have a beer and wait.... Will I get hops?
Yes you should get hops as long as you give them enough water, and as long as the spot you plant them in doesn't have a tonne of tree and shrub roots running through it. Too much competion from surrounding plants and insufficient watering are the most common reasons for people not getting a crop. I get lots of hops from all my plants every year.

Matplat said:
Yes you can grow hops in pots. Choose a large pot of at least 40cm. I recommend growing hops in pots if the area you wish to grow hops in is infested with tree roots etc. So yes, it can be done if you are renting.

If growing in pots it is best to situate the pot(s) over soil if you can, so that their roots can grow out of the pot and into the ground. Watering every day in summer and a couple of times a day in very hot weather is recommended.

Matplat said:
Yes. Pots 100 liters and up are advisable. Grow bags are a good option, as are 220 liter barrels cut in half. Reciprocating saw is the ducks nuts for the cutting. Drill plenty of holes in the bottom for drainage. Hops need good drainage.

Make sure your soil is very nutritious and well draining. I used 2 parts mountain soil, 2 parts mushroom compost, 1 part composted sheep manure, 1 part composted chicken manure, 1/2 part sand - all from Bunnjngs. Couple handfuls of dynamic lifter every six weeks or so once the bines are up and starting to stretch. If you want during flowering give them some of this every week or two.
http://www.seasol.com.au/products/70/PowerFeed-Plant-Flowers-Fruit

Beware: it's a whole second hobby ;) Oh and you'll be watering the **** out of them so automating that to some degree will make your life easier. I set up a soaker hose array on a timer.

Edit: Sorry Hoppy, didn't see your response til after I submitted.

hoppy2B said:
Yes you should get hops as long as you give them enough water, and as long as the spot you plant them in doesn't have a tonne of tree and shrub roots running through it. Too much competion from surrounding plants and insufficient watering are the most common reasons for people not getting a crop. I get lots of hops from all my plants every year.
hoppy2B said:
Yes you can grow hops in pots. Choose a large pot of at least 40cm. I recommend growing hops in pots if the area you wish to grow hops in is infested with tree roots etc. So yes, it can be done if you are renting.

If growing in pots it is best to situate the pot(s) over soil if you can, so that their roots can grow out of the pot and into the ground. Watering every day in summer and a couple of times a day in very hot weather is recommended.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Sounds like you can easily spend a reasonable amount of time and money on it all.... and potentially not get anything if you stuff it up!

Maybe when my 3 week old son doesn't take up so much of my time.... i think I'm flat out just brewing!

UPDATE

I can only fit 1 and 1/2 kilos of rhizomes into a 3 kg satchel at the very maximum. Hopefully no person orders more than 1 and 1/2 kilos. :D

UPDATE

Looks like I am out of Cascade. I am holding 1 pack for someone.

Plenty of Victoria left and limited quantities of the others.

I recommend Victoria. It has a tropical fruit flavour. Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA is pretty close to the taste.

Cheers.

I've been asked by people who have bought rhizomes from me for my advice on what to do with them. Its a fairly typical question. People want to know if they should put them in the fridge. So I thought I would answer that here to simplify things.

At this time of year, when dug up out of the ground and removed from a parent crown, rhizomes tend to grow, root and shoot. :lol: Pardon the pun. Putting them in the fridge may slow them down slightly but probably not a lot. So I recommend planting them as soon as possible to help get them established.

Some have suggested that hops need a certain amount of chill in order to fruit well, and as a consequence people in the tropics have dug up their crowns and put them in the fridge. *BARP* wrong. Nectarines and peaches might need a certain amount of chill but that is for the flower buds which have already formed and are on the tree. The misconception that hops need chilling has been the basis for people suggesting they should be placed in the fridge.

Hops need long daylight hours for burr initiation. The longest day is typically on or around the 22nd of December. Most hop flowering, or burring if you prefer, occurs from early December until Mid January. I have referred to burring as flowering here because it is the time at which pollination occurs. And also to emphasize that hops are a long day flowering plant. If you want good crops in the tropics you might want to put lights on your plants for a couple of hours each day at the appropriate time of year.

Good luck to everyone who is growing hops this year. I still have lots of Victoria rhizomes and a few of the other varieties as well.

Cheers.

Bulk hop rhizomes May 6 2015 001.jpg

Bulk hop rhizomes May 6 2015 003.jpg

Fresh Victoria rhizomes dug up last night. Most of the ones pictured are already spoken for. I still have another Victoria crown to dig up. Don't wait too long if you are wanting to buy rhizomes in bulk as they won't last forever. Cheers.

Hi SixStar,

Yours went in the mail last night, you will probably see them today. :D

Back