Bulk Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
I've decided its time to brew in bulk but I'm wondering, I usually brew in 23Ltr lots,but I'm switching up to around 46Ltr if I double the amount of wort is it as easy as just doubling everything else eg. sugar ,time etc?? Stupid question I guess but I'm new to kegging :huh: Any help would be appreciated :unsure:
Cheers.

Quick question to help answers....

What type of brewer are you?

Kit, Extract, Partial or AG?

more room. more headspace, slower start and needing a bigger yeast input
but yes, the same.

Except time. 46L and 23L will take the same time to ferment, provided an acceptable volume of yeast was pitched.

What I'm planning on doing for larger batches is rather than switching to a single larger fermenter I'm going to use two side by side. I'll make up each identically but change one thing for each batch (i.e. different yeast or use one with dextrose and one with DME). That way I'll have two beers exactly the same age and exactly the same everything else so I should be be able to quickly compare and work out how the point of difference has affected the taste.

Same net effect but you get to learn something extra along the way.

Don't just stop at two.
Get three on the go at one time.
Makes for lots of tasting comparisions.
:p

Problem is... 1 infection = 2 screwed batches :angry: so you gotta be careful.

Frogman: I think he meant double brews, not 2 or 3 separates :)

I've done 200lt batches of K+k in a brand new wheelie bin a couple of times..10 tins, 10kg dex and away you go...

I don't think i'll do any more like that thow..now I boil and add bits .. 90lt will be about the biggest.. :)
:beer:

I've done 200lt batches of K+k in a brand new wheelie bin a couple of times..10 tins, 10kg dex and away you go...

I don't think i'll do any more like that thow..now I boil and add bits .. 90lt will be about the biggest.. :)

This sounds so awesome until you think of all the bottles you have to wash.....

FNQ im impressed, did you bottle or keg this massive batch? Must have been for a big party huh? :chug:

Hope you didnt bottle that monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could see myself having a few, taking the rubbish out and OOPS! 200L of garbage filled wort. :huh:

Just picturing a wheelie bin with a little airlock at the top and a tap, hahaha.

Any pics at all Bunyip? How did you seal up the wheelie bin lid? That's a mammoth effort - about 270 bottles!

I've done 3 Blondes and a Ginger Beer in wheelie bins.
I keg and I reuse 50lt comercial kegs so its ezy to only have to fill 4 kegs.
Last year I was much more organised and had 12 x 50lt kegs in storage. Then with the wet season we've had this year (2 floods) I only have 8x 20lt kegs on the go. its a real battle to keep up I can tell you..

I use a comercial keg about 3 times then swap it back into the system so it gets new seals and a proper clean.. I gave up removing the spear each time and just flush with sanitiser and refill.. I have looked inside them and after a few fills like this there are little bits that you just don't get out , but I have not had any post fermenting infections since useing kegs so it must be ok..

I diden't seal the lid just sanitized a sarong and pulled that tight over the top held in place with a bike tube then close the lid..

That bin is now set up as a party keg setup with tap . I do have a friend in council and am waiting on a new bin soon hopeing to use this one for grain storage. as I get closer to AG...

bugwan in days gone past (about 8 years) I had 600 bottles on the go.

I LOVE KEGS... ha ha it makes things ezy..

We drink a bit up this way so its only keeping up ..

Back