Building A Sight Gauge Or Sight Glass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<science lesson>

Pumpy - the depressed level in the sight glass is becaue of the venturi effect. Simply, moving liquid (or gas) past a hole decreases the pressure at the hole. In the case of a sight glass, the pressure decrease means the water is pushed down by atmospheric pressure, reducing the reading. The pressure decrease is propotional to the speed of flow - so when the boiler is fuller, faster flow means more dperessed reading.

Some fish tank pumps have a venturi tube that allows air from the surface to be pushed into the water stream creating bubbles in the outlet.

</ science lesson>

Batz - yes that should look very familiar to you!

The old sight glass gave up mid brew two brews ago. It was very spectacular, but some quick thinking had me drain the HLT into the fermenter and then the wort into the HLT. I used the HLT to do the boil, and in the end only lost 1L!

I had actually planned for the scenario, which is what saved me. However, now I have spare end caps for the all fittings - so if it all goes to crap, I can tilt whatever device backwards, remove whatever fitting is the issue, and cap it to keep going.

It also was very worthwhile having a spare fermenter sitting there. Now I also have a 40L crate (clean) just in case also. Don't want to loose any wort!

AS an aside, it looks like I'll be selling the old rig (boiler and the small orange mash tun) shortly - time to start someone else off in AG! I can't actually believe I've outgrown it! it seemed so big when I got it :D

M

hey mobrien,
nice work and good post, my only question is where in brissy did you find the tubing...??

hockadays

Parts list:

PCTI12/9 Polycarb tube 1/2" x 3/8"
$28.60/3m
From Acrylic Rod and Tube supplies
13 Brennan St Slacks creek - PH 32905621

Elbow
016187 Elbow comp brs (Nylon olive) 15c x 15Fl
$7.18

T piece
018119 Tee BRS 15mm
$3.14

Compression nut (for top of T)
017818 Nipple Hex BRS 15mm
$1.81

All brass fittings were from Tradelink - I used Ipswich, but I'm sure product codes would be the same for all.

Hope that helps!

M

P.S. I have left over plocarb tube - around 1m left, which would do two sight glasses. FIrst in best dress - price is pro-rata based on full length.

I ended up doing mine a little differently and fed from underneath the HLT.

This way shows all litres down to an absolute zero but probably not very helpfull unless you wanted to pull up exactly a litre short or something.

But hey, something different... maybe...

sightgaugesmall.jpg sightgaugesmall2.jpg

Please excuse the filth looking bottom tube..it was the only piece that size i could find to do the job...its stained from when it was used as a blow off valve for the septic tank...Been meaning to replace it..

Beer anyone??? :p

Sqyre.. ;)

EDIT:changed Kettle to HLT...(Drunk *******)

Is it a good idea to have a sight glass on the kettle?
The small amount of wort in the tube may not be boiled fully and could cause problems in the fermenter.

:ph34r:

The small amount of wort in the tube may not be boiled fully and could cause problems in the fermenter.

:ph34r:

Oops. good pickup... typo on my part. should be HLT...

thats what happens when you drink and post.

I actually wondered about this, but solved it (in my head anyway) by waiting until rolling boil, then using a funnel, adding a litre or so of boiling water through the sight glass. This cleans out any froth from the initial boil, and also forces the non boiled wort into the boiler.

During the boil the water in the sight glass often boils anyway - I'm not that worried. Its only got to get about 75 to kill any nasties.

Curious what other people think though?

M

The leftover polycarb tubing is sold!

M

<SNIP>

Figure I'll do that the same time as I build the new mash tun - no point in having a 80L boiler, 65L HLT and a 37L mash tun. 57 mash tun coming up me thinks!

M

What vessel is the HLT?

Where do I find a SS 65 litre drum?

I second that!
Where do you get those? (apart from behind the pub late at night! :ph34r: <_< )

FHG

Its the extra 10 to 15 litres more than a keg shaped HTL I'm after.

I could have any number of 50 litre 'vessels' some legal, most not & there are a few 100 - 220 HDPE drums around but bugger all 60 - 70 litre ones.

If I'm spending the time building a new HLT, I want it big enough to grow into.

AS an aside, it looks like I'll be selling the old rig (boiler and the small orange mash tun) shortly - time to start someone else off in AG! I can't actually believe I've outgrown it! it seemed so big when I got it :D

M

I'm very interested in your old gear. I'm in the process of making a boiler/HLT at the moment, so your gear would be very handy.

-Bonj

M obrien,

I am wondering why you hav added a sight glass to your kettle. Does it not worry you that it will never be sanitary?

If it were me I would have "plugged" the hole off. After all you can see into your boiler and use a dip-stick for levels.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

cheers

Darren

Its the extra 10 to 15 litres more than a keg shaped HTL I'm after.

I could have any number of 50 litre 'vessels' some legal, most not & there are a few 100 - 220 HDPE drums around but bugger all 60 - 70 litre ones.

If I'm spending the time building a new HLT, I want it big enough to grow into.

I do double batches (aim for 45-48 litres) and have so far never had to boil more than about 25-30 litres at any given time.

My mash tun is approx 42 litres and my kettle 50 litres.

I boil each "addition" of water seperatly...and having small amounts with a large heating element (3600watt) it only takes about 20 minutes to bring around 25litres of hot water out of the tap up to about 90 degrees. (if need be)

This also gives me greater control on sparge water temps.

Perhaps a more powerful HLT is another option to a bigger HLT?

Supose it all comes down to how big you think you are going expand.

More Food for thought...

Sqyre... ;)

Another way of interfacing polycarbonate tubing into 1/2" BSP fittings. Salvage the ends off your mash tun braid hose. They have an approx dia of 8mm on the barb ends. Carefully heat the end of the 6mm (inside diameter) polycarb tubing and voila ! You have a skinny sight glass :) . These fittings have a rubber seal and make a good fingertight seal so are easy to pull apart to clean if needed. It's also a great way of interfacing beer line to general plumbing setups.
Sorry about the dodgy piccy !

DCP_0553.JPG

I thought about installing a sight gauge for some time but ended up opting for the dip stick solution.

BTW this is my 500th post so now I can personalise my avatar name :p i think? :huh:

Another way of interfacing polycarbonate tubing into 1/2" BSP fittings. Salvage the ends off your mash tun braid hose. They have an approx dia of 8mm on the barb ends. Carefully heat the end of the 6mm (inside diameter) polycarb tubing and voila ! You have a skinny sight glass :) . These fittings have a rubber seal and make a good fingertight seal so are easy to pull apart to clean if needed. It's also a great way of interfacing beer line to general plumbing setups.
Sorry about the dodgy piccy !

Nice work Doogie! I knew I didn't throw those ends out for nothing.

Something from nothing is like my favourite thing in this world!! :super:

FHG

Hi everyone,

A few people are asking about my 65L drum. I bought that 5 years ago from Visypack in Bulimba (Brisbane). Its a 60L 316 stainless open top drum (but holds 65). I paid cash for it - $150.

I have also heard that Rheem Australia, also at Bulimba, sell a similar thing.

No idea about current prices.

Hope that helps!

Matt

Back