Bubbling Through Air Lock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sic_vl

Reaction score
Hi All

Im currently doing a toucan stout. This morning when i checked it I noticed that its bubbling through the air lock. I really didnt expect this from a toucan stout!! The only issue is im going away for a couple of days and cant keep an eye on it. Any suggestions on how i can keep it safe from infection? For 2 days.

Stick a tube of food grade hose in the hole where the airlock goes, put the other end in a bucked half filled with water. Most of the time that'll keep the mess contained. If you have a search for "blow off tube" you'll be sure to get a few pics of how people do it

When I've had krausen monsters like that it's always worried me, but it's never got an infection. Probably has something to do with the yeast going bananas (literally) and the continuous outward flow.

When you can hear the fermenter from the next room farting diarrhea ... the yeast ain't takin' any prisoners.

Excellent. thanks for the advise. I quickly rigged up a blow off tube during my 15 minutes of lunch break!! Hopefully it survives the next 2 days.

Heres a pic of it. I know its no way near as bad most others. But since im going away for 2 days i cant keep an eye on it.

IMAG0229.jpg

Latest posts

Back