Bu To Gu Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
I still after all these years dont understand this ratio.will be the first to put my hands up and say it that math is not a strong point.thank god for brewing software.have read the section in Ray Daniels designing great beer many times but the penny does not drop can anyone enlighten me as to what it means other than the closer your bitterness is to the gravity the closer the ratio gets to 1.0 meaning equal parts.And what is the importance of this?

Flamesuit on for being number challenged.

It doesn't take into account the attenuation of the yeast or the temperature of the mash but is basically taking the last two numbers of the OG reading (like 1.055 will be 55).

Then you get the IBUs, say 35.

And you divide the OG by the IBUs. 35/55 = 0.63

All the styles have their ratios - or their range of ratios. Go outside this range at your peril, because your beer with either be too sweet/malty, or not sweet/malty enough compared to its bitterness or the other way round.

EDIT: here's some ratios for some styles I found to copy and paste.

American Amber: 0.619
Bohemian Pilsner: 0.800
Oktoberfest/Marzen: 0.449
Traditional Bock: 0.346
Blonde Ale: 0.467
California Common: 0.735
Ordinary Bitters: 0.833
American Pale Ale: 0.714
Brown Porter: 0.576
Dry Irish Stout: 0.872
English IPA: 0.800
Weizen/Weissbier: 0.240
Belgian Trippel: 0.375

Bigger number = more bitter (less sweet) beer.

Kind of a silly number really as it doesn't take into account yeast and mash temp.

thanks Nick that makes it Crystal.Where did you find the reference to the style/ratio numbers?

Cheers enlightened SCum

Latest posts

Back