Bu Gu Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milob40

i'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal
Reaction score
using brewmate to do an extract , what is the ideal bu/gu ratio level?
doing a lager and comes up at 25.8ibu bu/gu is .86 :excl: :blink: :unsure:

using brewmate to do an extract , what is the ideal bu/gu ratio level?
doing a lager and comes up at 25.8ibu bu/gu is .86 :excl: :blink: :unsure:

You will probably be directed to http://beercolor.netfirms.com/balance.html by someone so it might as well be me.

I'm not going to try and explain it and show myself up for the ignorant fool that I am. If your IBUs are around 26, what is your OG? - that is what the ratio is referring to.

It represents a "balance" between malt and hops.

.500 - .600 i feel is pretty balanced.

the bigger the number, the more it is heading towards the hoppy end of the spectrum, lower number - more malty.

My gut tells me that you'd want more malt than that to get closer to balanced if your brewing a lager.

Some quick calculations tell me that you are expecting an OG of 1.030. This wouldn't be enough malt to support that amount of ibu's. 26 IBU's is far from hoppy, but it CAN be if there's not much malt backing it up.

The "ratio" is calculated by dividing your IBU's by your OG last two numbers:

25.8 divided by 30 = .86

It represents a "balance" between malt and hops.

.500 - .600 i feel is pretty balanced.

the bigger the number, the more it is heading towards the hoppy end of the spectrum, lower number - more malty.

My gut tells me that you'd want more malt than that to get closer to balanced if your brewing a lager.

Some quick calculations tell me that you are expecting an OG of 1.030. This wouldn't be enough malt to support that amount of ibu's. 26 IBU's is far from hoppy, but it CAN be if there's not much malt backing it up.

The "ratio" is calculated by dividing your IBU's by your OG last two numbers:

25.8 divided by 30 = .86
thanks, added another 300grm ldme og 1045

Back