BU-GU Ratio

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the original poster, don't worry about the guys above having a little tiff.

But anyway, if anyone is going to bag out the BJCP, then you are only bagging out a 'loose set of guidelines that encompass the majority of the average examples of that style'. Not a binding set of rules. So I'm not really sure why you are arguing a mute point...

QldKev said:
If we stay within the style guidelines wont we always meet the ratio?
Wouldn't a BU to FG be a better number for designing a great beer?
My understanding is that fg is kinda a measure of residual sweetness of a brew. This sweetness needs to be offset by hop bitterness. You can have two brews with similar OGs, but wildly different residual sweetnesses (FGs), therefore requiring different levels of bitterness to balance a the beer.
So I would think that logically, you would want to compare the fg to the ibu, as og doesn't really dictate the finishing sweetness.
Does that make sense?

I understand that fg isn't only reflecting apparent sweetness...

Edit: so kev, I agree

BU/GU ratio is a guide, one of many you can choose (or not) to use to design a recipe.
BJCP guidelines are another thing you can choose (or not) to help design a recipe.

At the end of the day, you need to be smart enough to work out what each element brings and how to tweak it to make the beer you want to make.

manticle said:
At the end of the day, you need to be smart enough to work out what each element brings and how to tweak it to make the beer you want to make.
Indeed

When you look at it there is probably no right or wrong answer.

The OP stated that he was happy with his beer and after checking what the bu/ gu ratio was, he found it to be outside the guidelines for the style, according to the "rules"

Bitterness IMO relies on the perception of the drinker.
For me, the classic example is an Aussie Lager. The bitterness levels according to the " rules" are too low for me and when I make one I have the IBU in the red on Beersmith which is generally a couple of points above what is stated.
When I give this same beer to my son and his wife they both tend to say that it is a bit too bitter but for me it is fine.

I think that they, at least in theory, are correct because they are comparing my beer to the incipid swill that is served across the bar in most aussie pubs, which probably does fall within the style guidelines but is not to my taste.

Make beer and if you enjoy what you have made then make it again....if it isn't to your liking then change it.
If you are entering competitions that use BJCP as the base then brew to style according to your software.

To the OP it is quite a valid question. I've wondered before if I had a number that worked for me so I could alter recipes to my tastes but it is a bit tricky as I like quite a lot of different styles.

So far, I basically figured what Dicko did - that for most beers I make, I prefer them more bitter and hoppy beers more hoppy, than what other people may etc...

To Alex and co. Talking about using FG instead of OG that seems to make sense... I wonder why haven't people been doing it?

To paraphrase Henry Ford there's lies, damn lies and brewing statistics. If it's good that's all that counts

But, maybe one of them holds the secret to the perfect pint. I feel an obsession coming on...

Blind Dog said:
To paraphrase Henry Ford there's lies, damn lies and brewing statistics. If it's good that's all that counts
But, maybe one of them holds the secret to the perfect pint. I feel an obsession coming on...
Or even Mark Twain. It's late

Latest posts

Back