Brown Ale Recipe For Commercial Use

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batemanbrewer

Reaction score
Hey Brewhounds,

I'm starting a contract brewing operation (brewing next Feb) and I haven't got a recipe yet!

I'm looking for an English Brown Ale style to brew in a 200 keg first run (hopefully bigger after that).
If anyone has a tried and tested recipe that they'd be interested in donating (or selling for a small fee) please hit me with them!

All credits will go to the brewer!

Any other input is also appreciated.

Cheers guys,
Mitch

I'd be brewing a load of test batches.

200 kegs seems like a lot for a first run... but what do I know.

Good luck with it all. For me, formulating the recipe that is going to be sold would be the most interesting part!

How on earth are you considering brewing 200 kegs of a beer you haven't even decided on yet.
Then relying on randoms on the forum to give you recipes.
Too much cash one might ask?

Where are said 200 kegs going, are they sold, contracted, locked in for distribution.
Are you having kegs brewed for you under contract or are you setting up the brewery?
First post is a little ambigious.

Maybe I am missing something, but ... why are you starting a contract brewing operation if you don't have any recipes? Surely you must have a fair bit of experience brewing and have at least a few recipes you're familiar and happy with?

I don't know jack about commercial brewing but 200 kegs seems like a huge amount of beer for a trial run for random recipes off the internet.

Some of the replies here are what shits me with this forum lately. A bloke asks for help with a recipe and 3 blokes offer suggestions about the commercial viability of his operation, with out knowing what the OP's business plan is.
Anyway, PMed a recipe - hope it helps
Cheers
LagerBomb

I think this forum is getting a bit big for its boots. It's the natual progression from being the best brewing forum on the web, that a little arrogance might set in. Hopefully we'll learn from it before we turn away users and it goes into "British Empire" mode (gradual decline).

Geordie Cordial:

For a 21L batch

3.5kg TFFM MO (87.5%)
.4kg Crystal, Heritage (Medium) 10%
.1kg Roasted Barley (or Choc Malt, depending what you can get) 2.5%

20g Fuggles 7.1% at 60 minutes 16.76 IBU
15g Fuggles 7.1% at flameout (assuming no chill, this is about a 30 minute addition with a chiller) 6.4IBU

OG 1.043
FG 1.010
IBU 23.1
EBC: 37.2

Windsor Yeast, AA% 70%
Mash temp 62 degrees single infusion.

Cheers

Goomba

Edit: Punkchooashun.

LagerBomb said:
Some of the replies here are what shits me...

Your gastrointestinal condition aside.
I, too, am cynical in regards to the OP.
"Starting a contract brewing operation" sounds more like brewing under contract for others, i.e. their recipes... For that is what a contract brewery does.
Perhaps he is starting a brewing company and will contract his brews to a brewery... Either way, not having a recipe of his own or brewing a style he has no experience with, rings a little off.

If he is genuine and wants to knock out a 10 000 litre pilot brew, check out the "Simmer Down Brown" from another AHB memeber...

So.. not a good time to make the joke of 400 Cans of Coopers English Bitter?

Blitzer said:
So.. not a good time to make the joke of 400 Cans of Coopers English Bitter?
Too late - i think you just did :lol:

Between now and Feb is plenty of time to brew a few test batches tho right? Find one that you like that's not too complicated, give the recipe to someone who knows what they're doing and you're away! I don't think this is a harebrained as all that.

Chunkious said:
Yeah it say's that the OP is off his ******* trolley. Lets go onto a forum and get answesr to licencing and recipes and any other info we can get.
Nope, it says - Beer forum full of home brewers, commercial brewers and retailers. I've got an idea, does anybody here have any experience with this sort of venture. If so, please offer help and advice.
The licensing question is asked on here every now and then. Plenty of people are willing and have offered constructive advice. Same goes with recipes.
So far though, not much for the OP on this thread. "off his ******* trolley" is not helpful in anyway.
Cheers
LagerBomb

yum beer said:
How on earth are you considering brewing 200 kegs of a beer you haven't even decided on yet.
Then relying on randoms on the forum to give you recipes.
Too much cash one might ask?

Where are said 200 kegs going, are they sold, contracted, locked in for distribution.
Are you having kegs brewed for you under contract or are you setting up the brewery?
First post is a little ambigious.
Somewhat relevant:
“Contract manufacturing is what most of the world does today,” Schwalbe said. “Nobody really makes their own products. They outsource it. I said I would suspect that you could do the same thing in beer.”

Craft beer isn't about beer any more?

Thanks guys,
I'll go through all of your info and links when I get off work. All the help (and other feedback) is appreciated. As a little background: myself and another young gentleman are in the bar business, having invested in two bar projects over the last couple of years and working through all the stress to get them running and maintaining. I used to brew a lot before I got into the business end of bars and learned a ton about beer (obviously) in the process, but I'm not confident in the recipes that I have (very amateur brewer). The other fella has no brewing experience but a love for beer.

We've got a few more investors together and we're set to go in Feb. 200 kegs is the smallest run that is actually viable, from a financial point of view, to brew. The point of the thread was to get some recipes to test and perfect before we hand one over to the big boys. I have my own brewing equipment still but we were also thinking about getting a smaller batch done before Feb by a smaller commercial brewer, in 49.5L kegs to test at a venue and get public feedback.

Keep it coming and happy brewing!

Back