"Bronzed Brews" Home brewing old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn you NSW'ers, can't get Resch's down here in VIC, anywhere. Was keen to taste, so might have to wait until I'm up that way again. How common is it now in pubs around say North Ryde area?

Bribie G said:
Reschs is made by CUB so probably brewed at Abbotsford nowadays.
Given Abbotsford is in Victoria, would have thought it would be easier for a Melbournite (or is it Melburnian) to get their hands on it..... No wait, it's just a marketing thing... and they only have brought it back for the old New South Welshman that actually remember the ghost of the once former original brewery that was bought out by a larger competitor in 1929 before that same bigger brewery itself was bought out years later..... What would I know though, I'm just a South Aussie who suffers under a brewery that has remained in the same family for a hundred and fifty four years.... Except for that absolute shite that they brew near the River Torrens.....

Bribie G said:
It's marketed with a big retro 1930s art deco look and I still wonder if it's one of those old survivors that they haven't fucked over too badly, and probably brewed as an ale originally, another example being Melbourne Bitter.
I'm afraid Bribie, it's not art deco. Nor 1930's. Maybe late 1950's or early 1960's, but retro indeed. Designed to pull at the heart strings of those that might remember such times when the brand still was marketed by the once competitor that bought it out 30 odd years before in the hope that they will buy the beer to reminisce about times once experienced by them or their parents. Amazing the old marketing thing isn't it. Or am I getting too sceptical?... or possibly cynical?

Jack of all biers said:
I'm afraid Bribie, it's not art deco. Nor 1930's. Maybe late 1950's or early 1960's, but retro indeed. Designed to pull at the heart strings of those that might remember such times when the brand still was marketed by the once competitor that bought it out 30 odd years before in the hope that they will buy the beer to reminisce about times once experienced by them or their parents. Amazing the old marketing thing isn't it. Or am I getting too sceptical?... or possibly cynical?
The original painting of that particular image was commissioned in 1937.

I stand corrected and bow to your superior internet skills as I couldn't find it in the Powerhouse website when I searched. (the eBay seller is the same person as the Gumtree seller and claims they obtained the image (and permission to reprint it) from Tooths brewery in 1983.

EDIT - I stand by my dig at Carlton United Breweries re-hashing a beer brand that has twice been bought out, and now I realise they are using an image from a Tooths advertisement, it makes it even worse. Not even authentic advertising of the original product, but a completely different beer and brand. It's like they are more cynical than me.

Jack of all biers said:
I stand corrected and bow to your superior internet skills as I couldn't find it in the Powerhouse website when I searched. (the eBay seller is the same person as the Gumtree seller and claims they obtained the image (and permission to reprint it) from Tooths brewery in 1983.
Most of these awesome paintings were commissioned in the interwar period when Tooths went on a mad pub building/renovating/modernisation spree, with the paintings adorning the windows of the public bar to spruik the virtuous nature of their fine ales.

jyo said:
Can some of our site sponsors put some pressure on Wyeast? This yeast would sell for sure.
If it takes an order of significant quantity by a aussie HB supplier, I'd bet many of us would be happy to commit to a pre-order to justify the cost. I sure would....

I brewed up the Resch Extra Stout (circa 1920) yesterday, been in the planning for a while, but just never eventuated until then.
One of the things i was wondering, what purpose does the Parisian Essence hold in this beer? The wort coming out of the mash tun was still very dark, is it only to add extra colour, without the roast effect?
Was this comon practice in the past?

DJ_L3ThAL said:
Damn you NSW'ers, can't get Resch's down here in VIC, anywhere. Was keen to taste, so might have to wait until I'm up that way again. How common is it now in pubs around say North Ryde area?
I don't think anyone answered this so I will:

I reckon you'll find it fairly easily. A lot of pubs around Sydney have a single reschs tap. If not, try go into a local rsl club. They're bound to have it.

The Parisian Essence is purely for colour. it was common practice to use different caramel colouring agents to tweak the colour for consistent appearance.

When I ran a LHBS in the late 1970s in Maryborough nearly every Dan 'n Dave 'n Uncle Cedric recipe that customers and their dads had brewed for years and proudly swore by, included a dash of Parisian essence.

Looking back I think there was some sort of "racial memory" amongst the Anzac generation about how beer was made, maybe from cousin Archie who worked at the brewery, whatever. Other ones being the almost exclusive use of raw sugar that we would get straight from the mill and repack into kilo bags, and the well known fact ;) that XXXX contains arsenic .. another racial memory perhaps of an unrelated arsenic scandal long ago involving invert sugar that's explained in the book.

seehuusen said:
I brewed up the Resch Extra Stout (circa 1920) yesterday, been in the planning for a while, but just never eventuated until then.
One of the things i was wondering, what purpose does the Parisian Essence hold in this beer? The wort coming out of the mash tun was still very dark, is it only to add extra colour, without the roast effect?
Was this comon practice in the past?
Yes, most Australian logs that I have seen have used caramel. Sometimes it seems for colour adjustment in pales beers, others where larger quantities used I think that there would have been a noticeable caramel flavour effect. The times that I have use Parisian Essence in stouts it has changed from a dark brown to a jet black.
Cheers
Peter

Got my book

going grey nomading for a couple of months , no homebrew

something to read

my wife saw the book , as she said another sex book :p

Latest posts

Back