"Bronzed Brews" Home brewing old Australian Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Korev said:
I aim for 23l into the fermenter, what I find is with wort contraction due to cooling, and the losses due to not wanting to get trub into the fermenter is that I end up with a fair loss as well as the evaporation losses.

Everybodys system will likely be different and what I tried to do was set out as basis how my system works so that other brewers could adjust to suit their system.

Barry Cranston brewed most of the lagers and he took my recipe and fed it into Beersmith without problem.

Hope it works out OK for you

Cheers
Peter
Thanks Peter, apopreciate the response mate. I am looking forward to having a crack. All the best, Anthony

attempting to brew a Dinner Ale this week, and possibly the 1913 pale ale. You guys attempted any of the brews yet?

Could Vienna serve as a substitute for the Castle Pilsen 6 Row Malted Barley? The Brew Shop is currently out of stock and can't find it elsewhere.

jasonmac72 said:
Could Vienna serve as a substitute for the Castle Pilsen 6 Row Malted Barley? The Brew Shop is currently out of stock and can't find it elsewhere.
I think that Vienna would be far too dark and add too much maltiness. So I suggest Joe White Traditional Ale or another grainy husky and not very malty pale ale malt.

Peter

Anyone interested in obtaining the Melbourne No.1 yeast to brew some beers from the "Bronzed Beers" book and not have to wait for Whitelabs to release it?

It is available from the UK , National Collection of Yeast Cultures, here.

Not a cheap option, but if you know someone who works at at academic institution, it is available at a better price. Perhaps if several people got together it could be shared and work out to be a reasonable price.

Any brew clubs interested in latching onto this idea? If any members were experienced yeast cultivators, might bring in a lot of dollars for the club. Remember Proculture a few years ago? I'd buy a few vials.

at the very least it would be easy to spread the cost around club members.

I did sound out Cocko @ fullpint regarding the Melbourne yeast, and he was going to get in touch with white labs, maybe we can start a separate thread and register our interest there to get a solid number of keen punters. Then he can get onto whitelabs. I'd think we'd get quite a few keen on this yeast. Surely if we were ordering 40 or so vials it'd be worth their while?

10 VIALS. Shit yeah go hard or go home hey.
Put me down for 2.

Feeling somewhat inadequate... Beer will put out that fire...

My copy turned up yesterday, can't wait to get stuck in.

I'd be in for two vials too.

Guys

I have emailed Chris White to see what he could do to make 059 available

I will let you know what he says

Cheers
Peter

Got mine on Thursday and really looking forward to having a read. I couldn't help myself, and skimmed through a few of the recipes. Can't wait to brew some of these old pale ales and stouts. Time to get a shedload of Cluster and EKG!

Now is a great time to buy Bronzed Brews 25% off!

It's Leap Year, which means there is one extra day to save on Lulu.com. Today only, save 25% on all print books ordered from the Lulu.com bookstore.

Enter code LEAP25 at checkout and save 25% on all print books. This offer ends February 29th at 11:59PM. Remember, coupon codes are CASE-SENSITIVE.

The fine print: This offer applies to listed products only. It cannot be combined with other offers and cannot be applied to previous purchases.

Korev said:
Now is a great time to buy Bronzed Brews 25% off!
I jumped on this option and the courier arrived bright and early yesterday morning...it was a real struggle to leave the book behind and drag myself in to work.
Dead keen to start on some of the recipes.

I find this book fascinating, being a Pommy migrant I have a good knowledge of the history of British brewing but until now, Australia has been a "black hole". Most of what I thought I knew about Australian brewing has been blown away.

They put sugar in the wort to make it more drinkable for the six o'clock swill. Wrong.
As soon as refrigeration became available breweries switched almost entirely to lagers. Wrong.
We have little to no knowledge of what hops they used before POR. Wrong.
We can't recreate old recipes because the yeast strains are long gone. Wrong.

I haven't even looked at the recipes yet, still delving into the narrative of the book and so far I feel like I've done five rounds with Mike Tyson :blink:

Not a real criticism but in the event of a second edition perhaps the quoted source material could be printed in a slightly different font face / weight as sometimes in the more detailed passages, especially with the more modern 20th Century sources it's a bit hard to distinguish between the Author's words and the text being quoted. Just a nitpick.

BTW for some of the very early 20th Century and late 19th Century ales I'm considering using a Burton Union yeast, water treatment as per the era and doing a fair bit of rousing.

Latest posts

Back