Brok Lager - Possibly The Best Lager I Have Ever Had

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barabool

Reaction score
This is an absolute cracking Polish Lager with an killer hop aroma and a smooth Lager taste. I get it at a few of the big retailers here in Brissy and recommend it to anyone who loves a good European Lager.

did you enjoy it before you masturbated, or after?

Second post in 3 years? Mate I've got to get myself a bottle of this stuff :icon_cheers:

Before Heineken buy them out and turn it to piss.

Kev's alright - we get our share of spammers coming in and pushing their wares on the site - and for a first post it did look a bit like you work for the company :D [Edit I should also add its common for people to post a witty response to these spam ads - so its nothing personal]

Welcome welcome

Welcome in from the outer zone, Bara.
Polish beers rock.

People wonder why more people don't post.....geesh.
Kev your a dick.

Dude sorry, it was just that your first 2 posts were the same topic rasied twice within about 1 minute of each other; so I assumed it was a spam bot. You probably would have seen smart remarks in the spammers posts; so no insult to you as a person intended.

Also welcome to AHB, most responses aren't that bad :beerbang:

QldKev

This is an absolute cracking Polish Lager with an killer hop aroma and a smooth Lager taste. I get it at a few of the big retailers here in Brissy and recommend it to anyone who loves a good European Lager.

Yep I used to drink DAB as a commercial quaffer, Brok is a similar style beer, I would suspect the hop is lublin (polish saaz) & the softer water makes it a rounder softer beer than dortmunders.
hard to know how much of the sweetness is vienna malt or if they use decoction mashing.
Used to be $3.50 for 500ml bottle until Cellarbrations took over, now it's $4.50 still fairly good value at that price.

Never heard of Brok, nor can I google it. Is it an Aldo special ?

:icon_offtopic: I read that Aldi are applying for a NSW liqor licence, so we might see some cheap Euro lagers later in the year. From the few people game enough to admit it, they sound pretty good.

:icon_offtopic: I read that Aldi are applying for a NSW liqor licence, so we might see some cheap Euro lagers later in the year. From the few people game enough to admit it, they sound pretty good.

That's some interesting news. Reckon this will this open the floodgates and allow supermarkets to sell alcohol like in NZ?

I'll have a bash at Aldi beers :)

<H1 class=h1>
BROK BROWAR</H1>Brok, which is located in Koszalin between Stettin and Gdansk in northern Poland, is a regionally-based brewery with national distribution of three brands. The brewery in Koszalin began in 1874. In 1989, production began of the two strong beers Brok Sambor and Brok Martin of which the former is still the brewery's strongest brand. Brok Sambor Export is the brewery's national beer brand.

In 1990, the brewery became the first in Poland to be privatised.
In 2002, Brok Brewery S.A. merged with Strzelec Brewery S.A. to form Browary Polskie Brok-Strzelec S.A. which was acquired by Royal Unibrew in spring 2005. The brewery in Koszalin has an annual capacity of 650,000 hectolitres.

From memory I believe they used to claim on their label to be the only brewery that they were aware of to grow their own hops (they must be a little insular - or perhaps they meant ALL of their own hops)

Except if you live in Qld and the laws are so archaic that you can't sell beer just about anywhere. I'd love a supermarket to get lager, even just to keep competition up. Aldi imported German lager (to go with the nice chocolate they import) - fantastic. But unlikely to happen in the backward state.

Yet the alcohol fuelled violence hasn't got any better. Maybe instead of making laws so strict about everything alcohol related, they should fine pubs and clubs for serving people drunk and let those of us that would buy at supermarkets (hence drink at home, hence be unlikely to be vomiting down some alley way the in city at 3am after killing someone with a drunken knockout punch) do so.

I went to Hong Kong a couple of years ago - German Lager at 7-Eleven, opening 24 hours. Even for those of us for whom that is a novelty, we weren't getting tanked. The locals are so used to they don't care (nor did they care when we were drinking a can of Munchenal in the market at 4pm whilst haggling with a stall owner for a good price on a knockoff pair of oakleys).

Same as in Japan (thinking of you all).

Goomba

It was my impression that in NSW, whilst grog is in fact sold in the supermarkets, it's in a section accessible only through an arch or turnstile off the main supermarket, with an under 18s warning sign, as opposed to NZ and the UK where the Gin and the Tampax are in the same aisle. Probably good idea.

So does this mean that ALDI stores in NSW will have to "bump out" each store with a liquor add-on section?

Ironic - but the worst beer I've ever had was this stuff. Purchased from DM's at Albany Creek, who have a habit of leaving stock sitting out in the sun all day. Catty, cardboard and slightly medicinal (in a bad way) with floaties, a true drain pour. Still I'll have another crack at it (probably not fron DM's though).

Ironic - but the worst beer I've ever had was this stuff. Purchased from DM's at Albany Creek, who have a habit of leaving stock sitting out in the sun all day. Catty, cardboard and slightly medicinal (in a bad way) with floaties, a true drain pour. Still I'll have another crack at it (probably not fron DM's though).

Head down to Chermside DM. Never had an issue there with stuff left out. It's a tiny shop comparatively, but they look after their stock (albeit accidentally).

A good BROK is pretty decent. I find it occasionally sweet, but if I'm in the mood, it's good.

Goomba

Try Dan's at Chermside, being a mall store they have to get the stuff inside quick smart and it's all loading dock operation, no pallets sitting around for hours in the yard coz there ain't no yard.

edit: like G says

Kev's alright - we get our share of spammers coming in and pushing their wares on the site - and for a first post it did look a bit like you work for the company :D [Edit I should also add its common for people to post a witty response to these spam ads - so its nothing personal]

Welcome welcome

Yep, I really put my foot in it this time

QldKev

It was my impression that in NSW, whilst grog is in fact sold in the supermarkets, it's in a section accessible only through an arch or turnstile off the main supermarket, with an under 18s warning sign, as opposed to NZ and the UK where the Gin and the Tampax are in the same aisle. Probably good idea.

So does this mean that ALDI stores in NSW will have to "bump out" each store with a liquor add-on section?

Yes, that's exactly what the proposal includes. Aldi spokesperson reckons that there's a good opportunity to do the it-out (the admit it will be tiny) to steal some of (super)market share from the Liqorland style booze vendor placement that Woolworths & Coles operate.

The figures were surprising as to the % market share they have. Let me see if I can find the article.

Back