Bringing grain to Aus from overseas

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastfridge

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm living in Hong Kong for a few months, still managing to brew in a small apartment with a limited but decent set of ingredients here (Maris Otter SMaSHes, mainly, split with US-05 and S-04). I'm coming home in February, and I'll still have at least 6kg of grain or so by the time I leave. I forgot how much friends back home can drink, and how much less I can drink when I'm working 6 days a week...

Have you had any experience bringing malted grain through customs coming back to Australia? How about hops (pellets)? I assume it should be okay because the grains have been kilned, not sure about the hops. If it's not going to work I should find a home brewer here and pass on the grain.

I've been lurking on here reading comments for a couple of months but never opened a thread myself, popping that cherry here and now.

Cheers
Lucien

From previous discussions, customs allow hop pellets, but not flowers. As for grains, dont know. They certainly wont allow raw grains, but as malted grains are proccessed using heat ( kilning ) they shouldnt pose a risk.

I would contact AQIS first.

You will find you have to pay fumigation expenses as goods are not coming from country of origin and if there is any possibility they may have been contaminated you will have to have this done.

So unless they are worth a lot of money I wouldn't bother, but you may wish to check with AQIS what the fumigation costs would be first and I'm not sure I would want to be using grains etc. that have been fumigated with methyl bromide.

Don't think AQIS has irradiation facilities which may be another option

Back