Bridge Road Saison And Biere De Garde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not heard of anyone culturing yeast from these beers before, and have only drunk them from tap myself.
However, given the cloudy-gold appearance of the Saison I can't imagine it's filtered and I doubt they'd pasteurize either, so I'd expect the yeast in the bottle to be viable.
As to what yeast strain it is they use, you might need to email them and ask. :)

Tried these when I was in Beechworth and brought a couple of bottles home. Does anyone know if the yeast in them is worth culturing up?

Campbell
Tyro yeast farmer

Should still be the 'Dupont' yeast in the Saison. Could be worth asking about the Biere De Garde (must add Biere De Garde to the list for winter brewing).

I've not heard of anyone culturing yeast from these beers before, and have only drunk them from tap myself.
However, given the cloudy-gold appearance of the Saison I can't imagine it's filtered and I doubt they'd pasteurize either, so I'd expect the yeast in the bottle to be viable.
As to what yeast strain it is they use, you might need to email them and ask. :)
Ben uses the Wyeast 3724 Saison,followed by the 1056 U.S. ale to finish it off and get the gravity down,I asked him a couple of years ago while there :icon_cheers: He also told me the FG of the saison was 1005 :beer:

Ben uses the Wyeast 3724 Saison,followed by the 1056 U.S. ale to finish it off and get the gravity down,I asked him a couple of years ago while there :icon_cheers: He also told me the FG of the saison was 1005 :beer:

That sounds like the conversation I had with him, which means that the bottle conditioning yeast in both is all likelyhood is W1056. I'd personally go with W3711 for the saison which should finish nice and low. If you've got time then use W3724, first time I used it - it took a month to ferment out, last time 2nd gen - :blink: 10 days to 1.006 (gives a more 'complex' beer in the end).

That sounds like the conversation I had with him, which means that the bottle conditioning yeast in both is all likelyhood is W1056. I'd personally go with W3711 for the saison which should finish nice and low. If you've got time then use W3724, first time I used it - it took a month to ferment out, last time 2nd gen - :blink: 10 days to 1.006 (gives a more 'complex' beer in the end).
Only 4 weeks? You lucky bugger :lol: First time for me it took 6/7 weeks ,and could only get to 1011,then i chatted to Ben and he mentioned the 1056 to finish. :rolleyes: Mash profile plays a big part too i think,simple sugars, etc Saisons rock, :kooi:

1056 won't go that low - I think the 1056 is used to bottle condition.

1056 won't go that low - I think the 1056 is used to bottle condition.
Not what he told me,Nick.The 3724 slows right down at 1035-1030 ,and takes ages to get down.As in my experience also. Ben adds the 1056,after the first 5/7 days,when the 3724 slows, to get the gravity down in a reasonable time,instead of 7/8 weeks with the 3724 alone,so i suppose it's a combination of both yeast strains fermenting together.And i'll say again,a mash profile favouring simple sugars,is important :beer:

Not what he told me,Nick.The 3724 slows right down at 1035-1030 ,and takes ages to get down.As in my experience also. Ben adds the 1056,after the first 5/7 days,when the 3724 slows, to get the gravity down in a reasonable time,instead of 7/8 weeks with the 3724 alone,so i suppose it's a combination of both yeast strains fermenting together.And i'll say again,a mash profile favouring simple sugars,is important :beer:

Yep, fear not sugar and higher temps as well.

1056? I've got a shed-load of that. :(

I guess I'll just have to drink them and enjoy them. Alone. Unless you want me to bring them to the brew day, Perry?
I'll have to check with the Ministry of No Fun but it's looking good at this stage for a leave pass.

1056? I've got a shed-load of that. :(

I guess I'll just have to drink them and enjoy them. Alone. Unless you want me to bring them to the brew day, Perry?
I'll have to check with the Ministry of No Fun but it's looking good at this stage for a leave pass.

Wandering a bit :icon_offtopic: .
I'd have drunk them both by now, but if they survive bring them :) .
I'll see if I can get some Brasserie La Caracole beers, to keep them company & for educational purposes only.

Back