BrewKeg 50

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comparing apples with apples, the price point is on par, the SS Brewtech of around this size goes for around $900, the bewkeg is pressure rated so should be heavier gauge.
Big misses; no thermowell, and no facility to CIP, as Yob stated it's pretty big around 1.3m tall at a guess, spray ball would have the job done in good time.
Grain to glass in 7 days is the standout.
However the misses would give me pause in handing over the hard earned.
So so close.

Brownsworthy said:
Keg king kegmentor is only $289 does much the same thing without the conical bottom.
A kegking knock off based on the kegmenter would have to be on the drawing board. $500 target price with dump valve and racking port. Bring it on.

enoch said:
A kegking knock off based on the kegmenter would have to be on the drawing board. $500 target price with dump valve and racking port. Bring it on.
For sure that would be sweet as. I was going to get a kegmentor though went with the SS Brewtech 14gal/54l, which was $779, for the dump valve and racking arm though it only holds 5psi.

"apart from the obvious bling factor, why does it have to have a conical base?"

For goodness sake Yob everyone on here knows you aren't a real brewer until you have a SS Conical.

RM

<rant/>
It's been nagging me!
The first thing we tell newbys is clean, clean, sanatise, sanatise, sanatise, temp control, temp control, temp control, temp control, temp control= good beer.

The three brew specific fermenters mentioned throughout this thread all have or have had their issues.
The kegmenter: no thermowell ( brewhardware.com do a similar 2" tc with thermo)
SS Brewtech : originally released their kit without thermowell , their gear comes with STANDARD tc fittings so sanitary valves and cip are up to the brewer. 5 psi if your lucky but not intended as a pressure vessel and 2 psi will get the job of transfer done.
BrewKeg 50: no thermowell, no cip, proprietary fittings so no easy upgrade path.

Shortly after SS Brewtech released the brew bucket they resolved the issue of the thermowell. When they released their chronicals with ball valves they quickly realised there were brewers who wanted sanitary fittings, and so they responded.
I bet they make a good few dollars on their tc accessories and why? Because they listened made adjustments and provided quality customer service.
The question is will WW continue down it's path of closed proprietary. I'm not questioning the engineering and inovation. But one tc in the screw in lid would give users the option to add both thermowell and cip, and give WW more accessories to sell.
I know there are users here that speak with the owners of these bussinesses, do them a favour point them to this thread.

</end rant>

Start rant.. People, brewers, get over hating (WW or any other 'new world ' devices). The homebrew population will continue to evolve despite the conservative backbone of some in thisthread. Gotta love change. End rant
Come on the revolution (beer that is). Do what is best for your brewing style. Not what the mainstream dictates.
Cheers Elz

Elz said:
Start rant.. People, brewers, get over hating (WW or any other 'new world ' devices). The homebrew population will continue to evolve despite the conservative backbone of some in thisthread. Gotta love change. End rant
Come on the revolution (beer that is). Do what is best for your brewing style. Not what the mainstream dictates.
Cheers Elz
If you were in the market for a new car and Ferrari released a black high powered hybrid four door with all the bells and whistles good fuel economy at mid range price but no Stero or airconditioning and no possible way to install either, would you buy it? Would anyone be talking about how fantastic it was. No they be asking how and why Ferrari skipped the basics in what would otherwise be a ground breaking vehicle.
The KK kegermenter and WW brewkeg 50 missed being ground breaking because they missed the basics.

They are basically glorified shiny fermenters

Sorry, but that is what they are

The dimensions are on the website, heaps of details.
More akin to a conical than a keg, heavy gauge and looks good value to me.
The video is impressive and designed for ambient temp control, hence no thermowell I guess, if you want a thermowell, buy a hole and stick it in. With all the rants from many that you could build kits better and cheaper than ww, they bring out an affordable option for many more, and you can't put in a thermowell.
I believe they have two more sizes coming out in the next couple of months a 10 litre and 30 litre.
What say someone buys one and provides an informed opinion.
My business partner was in the fox tavern in Auckland where they brew with these and he rated the bear 4.5/5 in his iPhone ap, one of his highest scores given yet. Yeah an extract beer, he didn't know it at the time. He's converted and getting one.

Oggie said:
The video is impressive and designed for ambient temp control, hence no thermowell I guess, if you want a thermowell, buy a hole and stick it in. With all the rants from many that you could build kits better and cheaper than ww, they bring out an affordable option for many more, and you can't put in a thermowell.
I believe they have two more sizes coming out in the next couple of months a 10 litre and 30 litre.
My business partner was in the fox tavern in Auckland where they brew with these and he rated the bear 4.5/5 in his iPhone ap, one of his highest scores given yet. Yeah an extract beer, he didn't know it at the time. He's converted and getting one.
sorry but at this point no one has had the chance to buy one let alone mod one as they are yet to be made avaliable for purchase on the website.

Was half asleep last night so missed a few things. The dimensions have now atlast been posted, likely a result of this thread. Yes I can put a thermowel in, into a $20 plastic bucket, a $200 olive oil drum or any other vessel I choose to use for brewing or fermenting. When I purchase a $1000 piece of equipment specifically designed to do a job, I shouldn't need to start drilling holes in it. Please go find me a conical at this price point that doesnt has a thermowel preinstalled. As stated in my previous post WW have yet to make these avaliable on their site, maybe, hopefully that delay is due to adding some of the features pointed out in this thread.

Oggie said:
Ian, is that you?

Back