Brewing With Wyeast 3191pc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

praxis178

Reaction score
Ok so started brewing a Berliner Weisse yesterday (no-chill) and after smacking the pack and leaving it all day to do it's thing I get ready to step it up to 2L and notice that the pack hadn't swelled. So checked the pack date (30th June) and and the fridge's temp log (pc controlled fridge) pack has never been over 5C or below 2C here.

So the I pitched it into the starter wort anyway (not much I could do about getting a new one at 6pm Sat evening on the Sunny Coast) with the vague hope that it might still take overnight.

17hrs later still no joy, so the question is: is this yeast blend a slow starter normally or was/is this pack a dud?

I will be calling Ross tomorrow to order a replacement, so will have a chat about it then, but thought I'throw it out there in case someone has some first hand experience etc.....

Ok so started brewing a Berliner Weisse yesterday (no-chill) and after smacking the pack and leaving it all day to do it's thing I get ready to step it up to 2L and notice that the pack hadn't swelled. So checked the pack date (30th June) and and the fridge's temp log (pc controlled fridge) pack has never been over 5C or below 2C here.

So the I pitched it into the starter wort anyway (not much I could do about getting a new one at 6pm Sat evening on the Sunny Coast) with the vague hope that it might still take overnight.

17hrs later still no joy, so the question is: is this yeast blend a slow starter normally or was/is this pack a dud?

I will be calling Ross tomorrow to order a replacement, so will have a chat about it then, but thought I'throw it out there in case someone has some first hand experience etc.....

THis blend is really slow to kick off.

IF you are worried though and want to do something just pitch some US-05 or another neutral ale yeast. The lacto and brett will still kick in (albeit possibly less resulting in a less acidic wort if your initial lacto count has dropped), otherwise just ride it out with what you've got. I wouldn't bother getting another 3191 smack pack to add in.

THis blend is really slow to kick off.

IF you are worried though and want to do something just pitch some US-05 or another neutral ale yeast. The lacto and brett will still kick in (albeit possibly less resulting in a less acidic wort if your initial lacto count has dropped), otherwise just ride it out with what you've got. I wouldn't bother getting another 3191 smack pack to add in.

Cool, That's what I was hoping to hear! I'll leave the starter on the stir plate a while, longer and just let it do it's thing.

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back