Brewing with light liquid malt extract

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paedro56

Reaction score
Morning all. About to start my 3rd kit brew - Coopers IPA - and have decided to use light liquid malt extract. The container is 1.7 kg and I was wondering whether I should be adding 1kg as per instructions with dry malt extract or add the whole 1.7kgs?

The liquid extract tins are usually 1.5kg from memory? So you use the 1.7kg extract and the 1.5kg LME in full but (for the moment) not an additional 1kg dried malt extract. It makes a noticeable difference.

I'm only on my sixth brew so ready to be corrected. Also, take a look at the famed spreadsheet by IanH (pinned to the top of this forum). It shows you the impact of the changes you're planning to make, including what would happen if you only put in 1kg versus 1.5kg.

Hey Paedro,
I'm with Cremmerson on the spreadsheet tip.
It is a great tool to use to design your beer within style guidelines and to get your best shot at balancing your ABV and hop bitterness/aroma.

I recently brewed a full extract IPA with spec grains and also the help of Ianh's spreadsheet. It made it easier than just bunging it all together.
I am planning on leaving it to bottle condition for at least 6 weeks, but have to admit I had a sneaky two week tasting last night of one stubby.
I am happy with the results, malty, bitter and ALOT of hop goodness. So there should be as I used 180g of the buggers !!!

Good luck with your brew !!

Yeah slcmorrow, 180g !! 5 different types too !
I know its alot, but I LOOOVE hoppy brews and thought I would just go nuts on a brew and see how it went. Especially on an AIPA !
I had 4 types of malts in there (3kg LME and 1kg LDME) and 500g of spec grain also.
I didnt care if it was one I had to tip out, but I think it worked well !!
IanHs spreadsheet predicted it to be within style guidelines for an AIPA, the IBUS were at the higher end ( I like bitter ) and the ABV right down at 6.5%.

I am sure it will mellow out and be a good one....IMHO !!

The unhopped cans of malt are 1.5kg both Coopers and Morgans.

1 Tin hopped and 1 tin unhopped makes a brew with good mouth feel and malt finish. A few grams say 20 dry hopped at end of ferment and Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Beer,

Cheers

Back