Brewing To Suit The Ambient Temps

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wisey

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone else brews to suit our ambient temps? My shed at the moment will sustain about 18-20 degree's and I heard you can brew the witbeir's up to about 28 degrees which would be awesome come the stinkin hot summer time.

I dont have the dollars to put a dedicated fridge with controller in my setup yet, I would prefer to get my BIAB components first - but I got bills I gotta pay first. :)

Cheers
Matt

18-20 is perfect temps for 90% of ales.
Before my fridge That is what I would do and still would do if my fridge were occupied.
Just be weary of night temps dropping.
I put a temperature log in my cupboard and found that this time of year I get 7 degree difference in the shed.
Not good unless you like funky yeast twang.

I generally use a forgiving yeast during the summer months, and generally make ales that can handle a bit of ester fron slightly higher temps, like wheat beers, but I'm talking 22-23, 24 at the worst. I think you'll find though that your shed will get much higher than 28 in summer, have you measured the temp in summer at all? If it's anything like my shed your looking at 40+. Can you brew inside at all, I manage to keep a constant 20-22 with some ice bottles next to the fermenter, sitting in the linnen cupboard floor.

I totally agree, stable temp is a must

For stable temps a dead fridge is the go, I'm using one without frozen Ice bottles at the moment to finish off an ale and despite daytime 30 and nightime 18 it's sittting nicely on 22. During the main part of the fermentation it sat on 17-18 with only one change of 2L PET every morning.

Apparently even a temperature difference of only 10 degrees can shock the yeast and lead to the production of petite mutants :eek: I reckon I must have produced armies of the little buggers last year before I got reliable temperature control.

I try to brew lagers when the temps are low in winter, also helps with my brew fridge set at 10 degrees, the tank water is also very cold and helps get the wort temp down through the chiller. In the warmer months I do ales, the fridge can sit at 18 degrees and does a lot less work.

I don't have temp control so I've been brewing with the seasons. It was all going fine until we had the warmest August on record and the usual 8 - 12*C monthly temp range was shot all to hell. I have a slightly fruity German Pils and a Lager that tastes like Pascall's fruit bursts dissolved in nail polish remover :(

I use the 75 can cooler from Bunnings ($32) and 3x 2l frozen water.

Keeps the temp 18 or below.

Freeze the water overnight, put in cooler for the day, refreeze at night.

Best thing I ever bought (so far . . .no room for ferment fridge)

Cheers

I've got a fermenter fridge but don't use it in the winter except for cold conditioning because I don't make lagers yet. I keep my fermenter in my lounge room - SWMBO doesn't mind... :D

Seasonal and the odd bit of DIY climate control.

Ales sitting at 18'C at the moment, wet t-shirt and fan keeps them cool in warmer weather. Probably end up with a can cooler though, or see if I can rip off a polystyrene esky from work.

They only throw them away anyhow :D

- boingk

I don't have temp control so I've been brewing with the seasons. It was all going fine until we had the warmest August on record and the usual 8 - 12*C monthly temp range was shot all to hell. I have a slightly fruity German Pils and a Lager that tastes like Pascall's fruit bursts dissolved in nail polish remover :(

Vas, good to see a cousin Kiwi on the forum. You might want to get in touch with Reviled who is in balmy subtropical Auckland and is a font of useful info :icon_cheers:

Super fruity ales (bucketloads of Nelson, Galaxy, Simcoe, etc in late additions and dry) will hide the esters nicely and let you brew up to the late 20s C no worries.

I do. Makes for a quick fill of The Cupboard 'o Beer because the fermentation takes about 5 days @27C.

Saisons are great for summer - brewed a nice one last year. (Saison yeasts seem to recommend a fermetation temp of about 30deg)

Saisons are great for summer - brewed a nice one last year. (Saison yeasts seem to recommend a fermetation temp of about 30deg)

What yeast would I get for a Saison? Any recomendations?

Latest posts

Back