Brewing Recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont be afraid of nugget bribie, its a great hop!!

Ringwood you say?? Hmmm, what does that do to the hop character? It doesnt steal it away like alot of other english yeasts does it??

Ringwood is a typical Yorkshire style high flocculating yeast. I understand that some of the UK style Wyeasts can strip out the hops a bit (I have a smack pack of Whitbread in the fridge at the moment to try out as an experiment) but I've never found that with Ringwood, and have used it in bitters and milds. It's also apparently the most widely used yeast in USA microbreweries as confirmed by Ross/Dave on their trip. And they wouldn't be using anything that would take away from their <mini rant> unnecessarily over hopped </mini rant> APAs etc. :rolleyes:

Hmm, nuff said really, guess I better get my hands on some ringwood B)

Allrighty, quite keen to do an American Amber or Red IPA, whatever you want to call it, keen for some thoughts on the malt bill if poss plz??

79% Kolsch Malt
8% Vienna
4% Cara Red
4% Dark Crystal
3% Cara Aroma
2% Melanoiden - Might drop to 1% - Main reason its here is cos I dont have munich, so ive subbed munich with vienna and am thinking the melanoiden will make the beer feel like it still has Munich in it?? Might be wrong here...

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Allrighty, quite keen to do an American Amber or Red IPA, whatever you want to call it, keen for some thoughts on the malt bill if poss plz??
79% Kolsch Malt
8% Vienna
4% Cara Red
4% Dark Crystal
3% Cara Aroma
2% Melanoiden - Might drop to 1% - Main reason its here is cos I dont have munich, so ive subbed munich with vienna and am thinking the melanoiden will make the beer feel like it still has Munich in it?? Might be wrong here...
Cheers

Looks good rev! Atleast 10% Crystal is a decent starting point for an American Amber. How 'dark' is your dark crystal? Just because you will usually want your AA to be more sweet crystal focused over a raisin crystal beer. Especially with that caraaroma there it may be a little rich. If its a 80L crystal you should be ok, if its anything higher, you might want to sub it for a medium crystal to get more of the caramel/toffee going. Thats more of a personal preference for me really. I find too much dark crystal makes it less sessionable. Either way it should be a corker!

Oh, as for the melanoiden thing. Yes, it will push some munich flavoutrs/aromas but it will also push the crystal up abit (or so i find) with the 'richness'. With that all that dark crystal that you already have, i'd be omitting it. Again, just a personal preference.

Looks good rev! Atleast 10% Crystal is a decent starting point for an American Amber. How 'dark' is your dark crystal? Just because you will usually want your AA to be more sweet crystal focused over a raisin crystal beer. Especially with that caraaroma there it may be a little rich. If its a 80L crystal you should be ok, if its anything higher, you might want to sub it for a medium crystal to get more of the caramel/toffee going. Thats more of a personal preference for me really. I find too much dark crystal makes it less sessionable. Either way it should be a corker!

Oh, as for the melanoiden thing. Yes, it will push some munich flavoutrs/aromas but it will also push the crystal up abit (or so i find) with the 'richness'. With that all that dark crystal that you already have, i'd be omitting it. Again, just a personal preference.

Cheers 4star, the dark crystal is 120L or thereabouts, I actually had 80L in the recipe originally but personally I get more caramel off of the 80L and more toffee off of the dark crystal...

The cara-aroma is mainly there for the colour and for that big malt richness that it has, but dont worry, ill be hopping this to hell and back to counter the richness, in fact I was inspired by Green Flash Hop Head Red, big rich malt flavour and even BIGGER hop flavour :icon_drool2:

And with the melanoiden, I may drop it back to 1% going by what youre saying, I want it to be rich, but not too rich, if that makes sense? :rolleyes:

From what you have noted, the malt bill makes sense. Go with your instincts bud ;)

Latest posts

Back