Brewing Recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
What should I brew next??

I want to try something different, ive got three going at the moment, my belgian rye and two hoppy pale ales and I really want to keep my brewing momentum going...

I was thinking a Saison, but dont have a suitable yeast :eek:(

Currently in stock at the moment I have a sack of Global Pilsner malt, a heap of Munich, some medium crystal, black, chocolate, and carafa, and im about to get some dark crystal, maybe some wheat and possible some other stuff?

Yeast I have in the fridge, S-05, wlp001, 1026, 1469, 3787, 2000, and S-33, oh, and S-23 (but stuff that) :p

Hops : US Cascade, Williamette, NZ Goldings, 40gms Styrian, Sauvin, Southern Cross

Any ideas would be welcome?? :eek:)

Belgian Pale Ale? Always tasty.... :icon_drool2: and you seem to have most of the required ingredients.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Belgian Pale Ale? Always tasty.... :icon_drool2: and you seem to have most of the required ingredients.

You talking like a low OG pale ale? Ideas?? never really brewed any Belgians actually, the first one was my belgian rye..

Revknut what about this from newguy for something completely out there?

Heatseeker, as it was commercially named, was originally named Heatsikher by me. Dunno why they changed the name. :rolleyes: You can find another review here.

The following recipe is for 40l, but I only spiced 20.

Grist:
4.52kg pale 2 row
1.73kg munich
1.73kg caramel 60
173g choc malt
86g brown malt

Mashed @ 68C for 60 min.

Hops:
21g Chinook pellets (11.6%) 90 min [13.5 IBU]

Yeast:
Wyeast 1318 London III, pitched @ 16C.

OG 1.056
FG 1.007

Fermented @ 16-17C for 16 days, then kegged. Heatsikher was created by adding a coconut/curry "broth" to one keg and racking the beer onto it.

Coconut/curry broth:
4 cups (packed) semi-sweet shredded coconut + 4 cups water + 1/2 tsp safeway generic brand medium curry powder stewed for an hour. The mixture was initially brought to a boil, then covered and the heat reduced to low to allow it to gently boil/simmer. After an hour, the mixture was strained to remove the coconut and briefly boiled again to sterilise, and then added to the keg.

Things I'd change next time: just one thing, and that's to use unsweetened coconut. Apparently semi-sweet coconut is about 33% sugar by weight, so I got quite a bit of refermentation. I set aside a few bottles for competition from the keg and they were waaay overcarbed.

I actually didn't really like it, but the owner of the liquor store where I won the right to brew a batch kind of likes weird beers so I thought what the hell. That, and it was the only beer I've ever brewed that people searched for/asked about at our competition. That told me I was onto something. It disappeared really quickly when I brought the keg to our club meetings. :beer:

something english?

pils
Munich
Crystal
Goldings/Styrian
1026 or 1469

A pils?
Pils malt
Bitter with Southern cross
Sauvin to finish (or SC OR NS all the way)

A stout
Pils
a touch of Munich
a touch of crystal
carafa
black
chuck in some oats seeing you dont have the flaked barley
any hops you want

Devo's big hopper to use the SOuthern cross(see the database)

That should give you a few ideas...

Sorry Reviled, i think it was Belgian Blonde i was thinking of, don't have my ipod here to double check.

Was listening to the Jamil show episode on Belgian Blonde Ales recently and the recipe offered certiainly sounded tasty. From the looks of your ingredients you've got most of the necessary bits (going by my sometimes faulty memory). Grain bill was majority pilsner malt, and hops may have been Styrian, plus you've Wyeast 3787 which is good for belgian ales.

I think the ABV for this recipe was around 6~6.5%. Have a listen to the episode, it got my taste buds going, and as i was not in a position to brew anything at the time, i swung by the bottle o and grabbed some Leffe Blonde (their recommendation for the best example of the style).

Revknut what about this from newguy for something completely out there?

:unsure: Erm, wow Chappo, thats pretty out there, cant say im a fan of coconut but the curry sounds interesting? Dont think I could risk it with a whole 20 litres tho :ph34r:

RK, ive only done one stout before, the idea of oats is quite intriguing, wouldnt Pilsner malt be a bit lacking as a base for a stout tho?

Sorry Reviled, i think it was Belgian Blonde i was thinking of, don't have my ipod here to double check.

Was listening to the Jamil show episode on Belgian Blonde Ales recently and the recipe offered certiainly sounded tasty. From the looks of your ingredients you've got most of the necessary bits (going by my sometimes faulty memory). Grain bill was majority pilsner malt, and hops may have been Styrian, plus you've Wyeast 3787 which is good for belgian ales.

I think the ABV for this recipe was around 6~6.5%. Have a listen to the episode, it got my taste buds going, and as i was not in a position to brew anything at the time, i swung by the bottle o and grabbed some Leffe Blonde (their recommendation for the best example of the style).

That doesnt sound too crazy to keg, hmm, I used to really like Leffe Blonde, havnt had it in ages :icon_drool2:

Man, so many decisions <_< Time to google search some recipes...

Chappo has coconut beer on the brain at the moment, please excuse him. It's not his fault, he just gets excited very easily.

No ideas on subbing the melanoidin malt, though it is only 0.1kg, but remember with all that pilsner malt you gunna want to be boiling the wort for 90mins anyway to drive off the DMS.

After a quick google, the darker your munich malt, the higher the melanoidan content, so maybe just sub the melanoidan for munich?

I'd say up the Munich a bit and perhaps chuck in a tiny amount of carafa/choc to add a bit of colour...if you're worried about colour

Reviled, have you worked out what your brewing next yet?

I stopped off at bar on Sat arvo with the missus and had a Leffe Blonde, after one sip, and commenting that two beers cost us $16, she thought it would be a good idea to brew a clone of this. So this has been added to the list for the next brew.

Reviled, have you worked out what your brewing next yet?

I stopped off at bar on Sat arvo with the missus and had a Leffe Blonde, after one sip, and commenting that two beers cost us $16, she thought it would be a good idea to brew a clone of this. So this has been added to the list for the next brew.

Yeah def leaning towards a Belgian Blonde, trying to track down some Melanoiden, otherwise might just use a hefty amount of Munich, either way im sure will be nice B)

Ouch - $16??? :( It sucks to go out these days, so expensive..

Yeah the beer was nice, but the $16 just got me thinking about mow much brewing ingredients i could buy!!!

Definitely, ESB made it into the ferementer yesterday morning. Leffe Blonde recipe is def next on the cards!

(esp after SWMBO tasted, approved and encouraged!)

Definitely, ESB made it into the ferementer yesterday morning. Leffe Blonde recipe is def next on the cards!

(esp after SWMBO tasted, approved and encouraged!)

Yea! So you have approval for that new HERMS system then? Always good to have the SWMBO on side SJ. ESB huh? mmmmm :icon_drool2:

Latest posts

Back