Brewing Podcast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
Hi Brewers -

How many of you listen to brewing podcasts?

I thought i'd do a search for some and there seem like there are quite a few to choose from!

I thought i'd give The Brewing Network a crack - downlaoded a few and gave them a listen on a drive over the weekend.

hmmm. Wasn't impressed.

I don't want to upset any fans, and it is obvious that these guys have a wealth of knowledge on brewing far deeper than I could ever want or need to have, but they are horrid to listen to.

It took 17 minutes until they started actually talking about the topic on hand.
The answers to listeners questions were waffle, and I didn't feel they even answered the questions at all.

Now i'm all for giving a podcast a second chance, so I want to ask - it it worth downloading anymore of this podcast, or do you you guys find the same?

Or will I be shot down in flames for tarnishing the good name of a much loved podcast?!!!

I downloaded a different one thismorning, and had a quick listen on the way to work. It was called "Brew Crazy"

From what I heard - I like it so much more already.

They were commenting on beers they were cracking then and there, that they had made.

They had just made a Coopers PA kit - but couldnt find any "pride of ringworm" hops to go with it - and their LHBS didnt know what they were on about either.

I had a good chuckle :)

dammit I am such a noob -

I keep putting posts in the wrong areas :p

Mods, can this one be moved to a general topic area, not Kits and Extracts?

Sorry!

Basic Brewing Radio

Straight to the point, no ads, and no potty-mouth.

Saying that, I personally like Brew Strong / Can-You-Brew-It, it's just that you have to work to sift the wheat from the chaff

If you want actual brewing info without listening to hours of guff, then the Brewing Network shows Brew Strong and Can you brew it are great. The Sunday Session does have good stuff but as you say there is a lot of talk to get through to get to it. Also the old Jamil Shows are archived in the Brew Strong section on there. They go through style by style and are very informative, if a bit pedantic in places.

Basic Brewing Radio is also good but there's something about it that means I don't listen to it that often. Good information there though.

Basic Brewing Radio

Straight to the point, no ads, and no potty-mouth.

Saying that, I personally like Brew Strong / Can-You-Brew-It, it's just that you have to work to sift the wheat from the chaff

Woah that goes all the way back to 2005!

Look sgood - I will definately give this one a crack.

I have only every listened to Basic Brew Radio but I find it to be pretty good.
They do sometimes waffle on a bit and the quality is not Amazing all the time but
the host James doesn't pretend he knows everything and Does alot of very well conducted interviews with some major players
like presidents of large american home brew clubs, John Palmer, Head brewers and Lots of Yeast and Malt industry big wigs.
Overall it is very informative and at times rather entertaining. Well worth a spin on the old podcast transistor.

Once you get your head around the basics of brewing, I would suggest Brewstrong, on the Brewing Network.
I have recently listened to 18 of the archived podcasts (missed the ones about water, but may get back to them later) and have gained heaps of useful tips & knowledge. They too get industry experts in to talk on specialty subjects like yeast etc, so its not just their opinions.
Probably a bit scary for the complete noob as you say you are, but worth keeping in mind for the future.
It took me a while to get past the american accents, luckily I did give it the time, unlike another Australian internet radio which I gave up on after about 5 minutes, never to give it another try.
I would hightly recomend Brewstrong to any brewer. Even those who have been brewing for years.

Good luck JD

Gregor

It took me a while to get past the american accents, luckily I did give it the time, unlike another Australian internet radio which I gave up on after about 5 minutes, never to give it another try.

The voice put me off that one. He has a great voice for the silent era.

The voice put me off that one. He has a great voice for the silent era.

Brewstrong, or the Australian one who is best to remain un-named around these parts?
That reminds me, I must dispose of those crappy hops that are taking up valuable room in my freezer.

The Jamil show is good, even if it waffles a bit. There's still 17 minutes of guff at the start that you have to deal with, but there's some gems of information in there.

Can you brew it is ok if you're wanting to brew a clone of a particular beer.

Basic Brewing Radio is straight to the point, but the guy is pretty annoying.

The Jamil show is good, even if it waffles a bit. There's still 17 minutes of guff at the start that you have to deal with, but there's some gems of information in there.

Can you brew it is ok if you're wanting to brew a clone of a particular beer.

Basic Brewing Radio is straight to the point, but the guy is pretty annoying.

Yeah I like listening to podcasts - and now have to try them all out to find the best ones!

What I find irritating is the stupid voice over guy

BREWWINNNGAH RAYDIO-AH
GRRRREEEE

makes me crinnge.

Cheers for your opinions - will give basic brewing radio a shot tonight while I put on my next brew..

Hi Brewers -

[snip]

I thought i'd do a search for some and there seem like there are quite a few to choose from!

I thought i'd give The Brewing Network a crack - downlaoded a few and gave them a listen on a drive over the weekend.

hmmm. Wasn't impressed.

[snip]

Now i'm all for giving a podcast a second chance, so I want to ask - it it worth downloading anymore of this podcast, or do you you guys find the same?

Or will I be shot down in flames for tarnishing the good name of a much loved podcast?!!!

Check out this article for a summary of some available podcasts http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...;showarticle=63. If you have found any more, please add to it.

The great thing about podcasts is that you can have a wide variety of styles for a wide variety of tastes (unlike mainstream media which is pretty much forced to aim for the lowest common denominator).

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Brewing Network and all they produce (including that other show) as it appeals to both my sense of humour and my quest for brewing knowledge. Plus Justin has created a vibrant, active and fairly loyal community that is actually allowed to contribute to and influence the content of the show. There are quite a few "in jokes" that have developed since the show started several years ago, so if you are coming in cold it takes a while (and a bit of trolling through the archives) to "get it".

I also listen to many of the other podcasts listed in the article and other posts, but I find that I look forward to new content from the Brewing Network the most.

As others have pointed out, if you want more focused information from the Brewing Network, check out Brew Strong and the Jamil Show.

Will you be shot down in flames? I can't see why you would be, you are entitled to an opinion. The Brewing Network is not going to appeal to everyone (nor does it try to).

Will you be shot down in flames? I can't see why you would be, you are entitled to an opinion. The Brewing Network is not going to appeal to everyone (nor does it try to).

Brilliant - I'll give it a fair crack - I've downlaoded the podcasts with the subjects that I think will be usefull to me at this stage - lagering, water qualities, - should keep me interested for the time being.

aaah I tread carefully around these parts, because with the amount of knowledgeable/ strongly opinionated/passionate people on here, I dont want to create an idiot name for myself...

...I value the info on here and dont want to burn any bridges with my fellow brewers!!

Hey JD
I would recommend that you start on the basic topics such as cleaning, sanitization, bottling & kegging, yeast (multiple topics), fermentation temp control, attenuation etc. Once you have the basics sorted, then move onto things like water quality. Some of that other stuff may be a bit scary, as they get pretty involved in some topics. I think they get too serious on some topics.
Hey, I might even get flamed here for telling you that, but that would be my advise to you anyway.

Gregor

If you want to try the Brewing Network Sunday Session shows that give more brewing knowledge, go for the Dan Gordon shows. Plenty of good brewing info in them ones. Sure there's still plenty of carry on, but it is a good example of how good the shows can get....

And the guy sent me a Gordon Biersch clock :)

AHB has an article detailing the main podcasts around.

When it comes to The Brewing Network (I'm a fan), it's quite a strange beast. It provides several different products, dependin gon what you want. You didn't like the session, and I can understand that- the entire mentality behind the Session is that they are making internet radio, and as such it has the banter that any 3-4 hour radio program would have. The host has a professional broadcaster's certificate, and as such this mentality is understandable. However if you want pure information, don't go to the session. I doubt they've ever clained that the show would fulfil such a need.

If you do what technical, 100% knowledge, go to Brew Strong. It's an hour per cast, and there's heaps of info in each one. It's a great listen and I personally try to not do too much while listening because it's easy to miss what's going on.

aaah brilliant work.

Check out this article for a summary of some available podcasts http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...;showarticle=63.

AHB has an article detailing the main podcasts around.

good to see we all read the previous responses so we dont double up on info :unsure: then again, the wiki is obviously working as we all know the info exists and is a good resource :)

Back