Brewing My First Belgian. What Fermentation Temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqyre

Bee & Thistle Brewery
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
We are having a go at making our first Belgian Dubbel today but i cant seem to find any info on fermentation temps..
We are doing something similar to Ash from Perths "Dubble Trouble? using a Wyeast 3787 smack pack and some home made Candy sugar.

There is only a pitching temp on the smack pack but i have vague memories of someone talking about stepping up the temp during fermentation..?
Or it does it on its own due to the high gravity or something..??? :huh:

Can any one enlighten me on what temps i should be trying to maintain as all my searching has given me nothing..

Cheers,
Sqyre.. ;)

From the Wyeast site:

Flocculation: Medium-High
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 64-78F, 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: 12% ABV

18-20 works great for me. :)

Thanks Bindi didn't think to check the wyeast site.. Duh

and also

At what point do I add the candy sugar?

sqyre

I tend to start the first 48hrs @ 18c and then raise the temp to 22c.

Depends on the desired "funk" level! I used 3787 at about 19-20 and it was definitely there but not too over-the-top.

Brew Like a Monk tells me about this strain:

Temp of 24*C to 29*C will give Bubblegum, Clove, Alcohol, Fruity, Tart ans Solvent flavours.
Temp of 18*C to 25*C will give Clove, Alcohol and Pineapple flavours.

I would kick it off at 18*C then let it go... stopping it at 25*C with the ferment fringe.

looks like 18 - 25 degrees is the concensus.. :)

Thanks guys we shall see how we go..
I have just finished making the Candi sugar and its nice deep red color.
Not sure when to add it in but beersmith defaults with a 90 minute boil so we will go with that..

Cheers for the help guys..

Sqyre.. ;)

Thanks Bindi didn't think to check the wyeast site.. Duh

and also

At what point do I add the candy sugar?

sqyre

Don't know what others do but I add the candy sugar at 15min to flame out after melting it in a little water on the stove, it is almost boiling when I add it.

3787 is best [for me, others don't agree] 18-20c and not over 22c, love this yeast ;) but I am "one sick puppy".

18 to 22 is the goods. Dont let it get to hot.

For your candi sugar, dont add it to the kettle. once the yeast has been firing for a couple of days melt it on the stove with a touch of water to make a syrip. Add this to the ferment while stiring in with a sterile spoon.

half on day 3, half on day 5 of the ferment worked wonders for me. No solventy alcahol at all in a 7 or 8 % tripel

I just pitched some into the Knight Rye-der yesterday. 40 liters @ 1.068. pitched into the entire wort volume at about 20 deg c. Its a great yeast.

cheers

18 to 22 is the goods. Dont let it get to hot.

For your candi sugar, dont add it to the kettle. once the yeast has been firing for a couple of days melt it on the stove with a touch of water to make a syrip. Add this to the ferment while stiring in with a sterile spoon.

half on day 3, half on day 5 of the ferment worked wonders for me. No solventy alcahol at all in a 7 or 8 % tripel

I just pitched some into the Knight Rye-der yesterday. 40 liters @ 1.068. pitched into the entire wort volume at about 20 deg c. Its a great yeast.

cheers
'
Ok, I have tried feeding the sugar over a few day and it made no 'wonders' for me. :( came out the same, good but the same.
Will re think it and try it again.

Bugger... i chucked it in at the start of the boil...
Oh well.. we will see what happens... :lol:

Sqyre...

Bugger... i chucked it in at the start of the boil...
Oh well.. we will see what happens... :lol:

Sqyre...
Shouldn't make any difference. Apparently the Trappist Breweries just put the Candi Sugar in the kettle.

Regards

Graeme

Should be fine mate.

If its only a Dubbel it will make bugger all difference.

I recon incrimental feeding would help more with a bigger beer.

I pitched a freshly smacked pack, no starter, into 40 liters of 1.068 with nothing more to add. Its frothing on the top now and i have a fan and wet towl on it to keep it down to 20 deg.

Im glad you started this when you did Sqyre. I went and checked the temp of mine after i read this and it was getting up to 22 deg.

Wrapped it in a wet towl and put a fan on it.......... its down to 20 deg now.

cheers

Cool Tony,
Im just wondering how to keep mine cool now...
We are expecting 32 tommorrow... :blink:
I have chucked it in the kitchen and will run the aircon for the next 48 hours, its good to keep the room at a close 23.
thats the best i can do at the moment.
Mrs Sqyre will be demanding a fermentation fridge now we are heading for summer.. :)

Sqyre.. ;)

Cool Tony,
Im just wondering how to keep mine cool now...
We are expecting 32 tommorrow... :blink:
I have chucked it in the kitchen and will run the aircon for the next 48 hours, its good to keep the room at a close 23.
thats the best i can do at the moment.
Mrs Sqyre will be demanding a fermentation fridge now we are heading for summer.. :)

Sqyre.. ;)
Laundry tub or similar with frozen water bottles on rotation :D

Edit: Isn't there a ferm fridge in that there green shed?

PB

Also expect this yeast to go beserk. Even at 18 -20 C it will want to climb out of the fermenter.
Fabntastic for top cropping for future brews or even collecting yeast from the blow off bottle if you use a blow off tube.

Regards

Graeme

I have wraped mine in a wet towl and put a fan blowing on it in the ccolest part of the house (garage)

Droped it from 21.8 to 20 deg in a couple of hours, youve just got to keep the towl damp for it to work. got it just as the yeast was starting to work and form a head on the brew!

I keep a spray bottle on the fridge and give it a few hundred mills of cool water if it starts to warm up.

cheers

+1 for the start at around 18 and raise to 22 after about a week. Only other bit of advice I can offer is to not bother racking it if you were thinking on doing it, just let it ferment out in primary

Also expect this yeast to go beserk. Even at 18 -20 C it will want to climb out of the fermenter.

+1

I had to clean about 2 cups (500ml) of yeast sludge out of the top of the lid of my fermenter both times I've used this yeast so far, and that's doing about 20L in a 30L fermenter. Of course, if you were sufficiently careful, you could crop this for next time, or at least save it for boiling into yeast nutrient. :)

T.

Latest posts

Back