Brewing My First Belgian. What Fermentation Temp?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mrs Sqyre will be demanding a fermentation fridge now we are heading for summer.. :)

Sqyre.. ;)

Too Right!

I checked the temp on the fermenter this morning and its sitting at 24c at the moment

SO I have put it in the kitchen sink sitting in some water, and placed a wet towel over it. I also have the fan on it, so hopefully that brings the temp down enough.

The only downside (or upside LOL) to this is I now can't do the dishes :lol:

Renae

Also expect this yeast to go beserk. Even at 18 -20 C it will want to climb out of the fermenter.
Regards
Graeme

Yep, it sure did...
Even Clogged up the outlet of my dip tube bottle.
So i gently released the pressure off it to swap it over, then i thought i'd just pull the whole dip tube out of the fermenter and give it a quick clean... :huh:
About 1/1 thousandths of a second later i relised the end of the dip tube was blocked too...
BANG!!!! right in the head...
no time for another shower so here i am at work in the office smelling like...well... like a Brewery.. :lol:

Sqyre.. ;)

EDIT: i managed to get the temp down to about 19-20 by chucking it in a box wraped in a blanket with Frozen coke bottles..

Having just read Brew Like a Monk, I note that several of the brewers interviewed prefer to set an initial temperature for the first part of the fermentation and then let the yeast have its head (so to speak) - and only cool it down if it gets excessive (e.g. > 30 degress, rings a bell). The reason that they state is that the yeast tends to crash if cooled.

T.

Having just read Brew Like a Monk, I note that several of the brewers interviewed prefer to set an initial temperature for the first part of the fermentation and then let the yeast have its head (so to speak) - and only cool it down if it gets excessive (e.g. > 30 degress, rings a bell). The reason that they state is that the yeast tends to crash if cooled.

T.

Yeah, most seem to start it at 18*C until it kicks off then let it go. My first belgian was brewed like this, a day after it kicked off I raised the temp of my fridges set point to 25*C. It slowly made its way up to 25*C after a day or so then made its way back down to around 22*C. Was a very nice beer. Hard not to drink. Have brewed another one recently, but won't drink it until march. Can't comment on it yet.

Back