Brewing in an urn - power requirements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julez

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been weighing up a Crown urn converesion Vs Grainfather. I've already got a 3V system that I want to downsize and go to electric. So I have a March pump, SC200 controller, counterflow chiller and plenty of other bits already. If not, I would just buy a GF and wouldn't be considering an urn!

There are some things I like about setting up a GF-style urn though, primarily using 'off the shelf' parts.

Anyway, my question is regarding power requirements - Crown Urn is 2400W and March pump is about 1.4A or around 300W. I'm pretty clueless about electrical stuff, so are these 'peak' ratings? How much draw would the Crownie place on a 10A circuit? Main concern would be during temperature steps during mashing, while also doing recirc, e.g. from mash-in to sac rest. If element was on full tilt while recircing, would I be blowing circuits here if running off a single 10A?

I have no intention of running off separate circuits or getting a 20A circuit installed, so this will pretty much help me decide whether to buy a GF and save the time pimping a Crownie, or whether the load on a 10A circuit running the urn + pump together would be ok.

Cheers,

Jules.

Hi Jules,

I have a crown urn and recirc pump running in the brewroom (garage) and have no problems with overloading the circuit
because i have a 16amp circuit breaker supply.With a 10amp circuit you will be border line to overloading the breaker and
more than likely will be a pain in the arse with nuisance tripping.Most power outlets are rated to 10amp but the supply breaker
can handle more current,some older houses with rewireable fuses ran lower current fuses due to smaller wire size.Check the
rating of your circuit breaker or fuse and what other apliances run at the same time on this circuit,hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back