Brewing In A Bag Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stowaway

Reaction score
So im currently studying how to Brew in a Bag. Taking my time with it becuase i want to get everything right before i attempt this process.

When mashing. Does it need to be put into the mash b ag then kept at a temp of 66degres for 35minutes and then "agitated"

what does agitated mean? Does it mean just stired around. or does it mean mashed as if you were mashing potatoes? do i squash the grain?

When you buy the grain, ask the home brew shop to crack/crush it for you. This si the only time the grain needs to be squashed.

When people are talking about 'mashing' in all grain brewing, it simply means mixing the crushed grain with hot water and let it sit at a temperature of 66 degrees. It is helpful to stir it occasionally to ensure there is an even temperature distribution (particularly at the beginning).

As Phonos said, it needs to be stirred/agitated.
Personally I use a paint stirrer from the big green hammer shop and agitate the mash every ~5 minutes or so for the duration of the mash.

Hey Stowaway,

Sounds to me like you need a bit of a primer on brewing theory before you launch into studying brewing practice.

I suggest you go along to http://www.howtobrew.com and have a read of the Brewing your First All Grain section. That give a bit of an overview of how the mashing process works. It will explain some of the terminology and whats going on.

The fundamentals are the same whether you are using BiaB or any other technique. You can probably get away with just following a recipe and not actually knowing whats going on in the background, but if you encounter problems, they will just be mysteries to you. Some basic knowledge will go quite a long way.

There might well be better basic texts out there, hopefully someone else will point you at them if they know of them.

Cheers

Thirsty

Back