Brewing Course

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depending on when it is held, I should be able to swing 5 days off.

PJ

I would like to get expression of interest for a Sydney based course and then I would have to see if any institute or venue would take up the course. Also,for me to go to Sydney it would make sense to concentrate the course in several pockets of full days. But of course the students would have to be able to be available for these days. I would be interested to have feedback if it would be better to hold the course on weekends. The course lasts for 40 hours which equates to 5 full days.

Vincent Costanzo
course lecturer

I would be keen depending on cost. Considering that you would have to make minimum 3 trips and bring equipment, I am picking the costs are going to be getting up a fair bit. I suppose that it will depend on numbers too.
Lets see how many are interested.

Greg

I'd be a good chance of making it. Weekends would be better for me.

Taking 5 days off shouldn't be an issue (woohoo - Long Service Leave). The only considerations would be price and when it would be held.

Wow i would love to do a course like that, although I don't think I could take 5 days off, I find it hard having one day off on the weekends :(

I would also be interested in a Sydney course.
Vince,
Is there any Idea of what numbers would be required?
Would you need to run the course 5 days in a row?
Is there a rough idea of when the course would run?
looking foward to it.
BS

As a beginner and fast becoming a fanatic, I'd definitely be interested.

I would love to see if anything comes of this. Would be great.

Pok

I would like to develop the idea of a interstate brewing course further.There seems to be enough initial interest in such a course in Sydney. So far there are 10 people who have expressed some interest. The following are some of my thoughts.

What I need to determine is if I could find a venue among those interested. Pehaps someone can offer a meeting room at reasonable rates.
The class size would need to be about 20.
I think the course would be run on 3 weekends, not consecutively due to the nature of brewing. I think I would be looking at starting the course in Febuary 2009.
to keep costs down I would like to find out the availability of a brewing system in Sydney, preferably like the one pictured above that was used at NMIT (More Beer).
Please note that because this course is not held at a Registerd Training Organisation it can not be considered an accredited course, but the one at NMIT is a short course anyway and is not assessed. The contents of the course will be similar to the one at NMIT.
I think that the cost would probably be in the vicinity of $200 - 300 per person. I am mindfull in keeping this fee as low as possible and would depend on the associated costs of running the course and materials.
I would invite all who have expressed interest and others who have not yet done so to Email me with their preferred suggestions and advice and offers.
VCostanzo

I would like to develop the idea of a interstate brewing course further.There seems to be enough initial interest in such a course in Sydney. So far there are 10 people who have expressed some interest. The following are some of my thoughts.

What I need to determine is if I could find a venue among those interested. Pehaps someone can offer a meeting room at reasonable rates.
The class size would need to be about 20.
I think the course would be run on 3 weekends, not consecutively due to the nature of brewing. I think I would be looking at starting the course in Febuary 2009.
to keep costs down I would like to find out the availability of a brewing system in Sydney, preferably like the one pictured above that was used at NMIT (More Beer).
Please note that because this course is not held at a Registerd Training Organisation it can not be considered an accredited course, but the one at NMIT is a short course anyway and is not assessed. The contents of the course will be similar to the one at NMIT.
I think that the cost would probably be in the vicinity of $200 - 300 per person. I am mindfull in keeping this fee as low as possible and would depend on the associated costs of running the course and materials.
I would invite all who have expressed interest and others who have not yet done so to Email me with their preferred suggestions and advice and offers.
VCostanzo

I am running another brewing course in Melbourne starting on 7th October. Judging by the feedback from one of the homebrewers above the course is very well worth doing. Any enquiries please direct to me.
VinceC

I would also be interested in a Sydney course.
BS

I recall reading a few months ago about a brewing course being run at Potters Brewery near Cessnock in the Hunter Valley. It was over a few days, maybe five, and cost over a grand. I'll do a bit of googling and see what I can find.

http://shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au/index.p...85d85b6fa943437 It may be a bit out of date, but they'd be worth talking to.

For what it's worth, I'd cut off my arm (save one for obvious reasons) and both legs to have an excuse to spend any more time at Potters, some lovely brews there, and a top feed into the bargain. Love the place.

The brewing course to be held in Melbourne (Epping) is schedulled to start 7th Oct. Details of course can be found on the attachment.
VC
View attachment 21418

The brewing course has been postponed for 2 weeks to allow a chance for extra people to enrol. The start date is now the 21st October but enrollments must be complete by next week, a week before the course commences. So please do not leave it to the last moment or the course could be cancelled altogether.
Vince C

I recall reading a few months ago about a brewing course being run at Potters Brewery near Cessnock in the Hunter Valley. It was over a few days, maybe five, and cost over a grand. I'll do a bit of googling and see what I can find.

http://shop.nnlbeersupplies.com.au/index.p...85d85b6fa943437 It may be a bit out of date, but they'd be worth talking to.

For what it's worth, I'd cut off my arm (save one for obvious reasons) and both legs to have an excuse to spend any more time at Potters, some lovely brews there, and a top feed into the bargain. Love the place.

The course I'm offering will be similar to the one run at TAFE NMIT in Victoria and would cost a fraction of the one at Potters brewery ($200- $300), depandant on numbers. The course is suitable to homebrewers and those wanting to start their own microbrewery. It also runs for 40 hours and involves practical hands on brewing with a 50L semi-automatic brew plant.
VC

The brewing course has been postponed for 2 weeks to allow a chance for extra people to enrol. The start date is now the 21st October but enrollments must be complete by next week, a week before the course commences. So please do not leave it to the last moment or the course could be cancelled altogether.
Vince C

Now that the course has moved backward two weeks, I have just had to withdraw :(

Not happy as I was rather looking forward to it...

Chris.

Vince C

If i dont do the course this time round will there be another chance to do it? like do you run them every 7 weeks or so?

I spoke with NMIT about this course as i am unable to do it this time around. I have put my name down as interested for the next course, which i was advised would most likely be early next year/next semester.

The main thing to bear in mind with these TAFE run short courses is that they are number/enrolment dependant. If they don't get enough numbers the couse gets cancelled, or in this case postponed.

As i have my name down for next year (course scheduling for next has not been done yet!) i encourage anyone who is interested to contact NMIT (i think the details are at the top of this thread) and register their interest. More interest means the higher likelyhood this will go ahead.

I contacted NMIT when the above course was first mooted some time back, as I wasn't sure if it was over a series of weekends or in one 5 day block.

As it was spread out it wasn't suitable for me to go to Melbourne to attend.

However if a 40 hour block was organised and maybe a deal done with local accommodation providers for those who are not locals, I'd be prepared to go down from Sydney for it.

Obviously the same applies for Sydney if one were to be held here, though if it were over weekends I'd prefer it was in an accessible (central?) location, hopefully close to transport.

I am just hoping that Vince can make a good run of these courses, while keeping a lid on costs. These things can be a nightmare to schedule and run, but are obviously highly regarded by those who attend.

Cheerz Wabster.

Latest posts

Back