Brewing An "ale" With A Lager Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discoloop

Reaction score
This thread got me thinking about using a lager yeast at lager temps to ferment a recipe that's more traditionally associated with an ale. While I'm sure it's technically possible to ferment out any wort with any yeast, surely some styles are more amenable to the idea than others.

So what beers work well by this measure? I'm guessing an APA could be pretty nice converted to a lager, but what about something a little more unusual - an english bitter perhaps? A belgian wit? Or some weird stout / lager hybrid?

Anyone experimented? What flavours work? What flavours don't?

I think this works quite well. A mate of mine who lives in Canberra usually changes to a lager yeast for winter when he has no hope trying to maintain ale temps. In fact I think the next brew he is doing will be an American Amber Ale with a lager yeast.

The beer I have brewed for the Xmas in July case is full of crystal and also has some Bairds Brown in it - its basically a chewy amber ale grist but I fermented it as a lager. You can tell its a lager - the flavours are more delicate and crisp than an ale - but its still got that ballsy amber ale flavour too. I reckon its definitely a good way to brew in winter. I am really tempted to try an APA with a lager yeast - I think it would suit the style nicely, and you'd still get some fruitiness from the American hops.

I know some of the American homebrewers have been doing IPAs with lager yeasts - IPLs maybe. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to tasting that one, T.D. :super:

I know some of the American homebrewers have been doing IPAs with lager yeasts - IPLs maybe. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to tasting that one, T.D. :super:

And commercial brewers (IPLs).

I've tasted a few beers that were along these lines. There seems to be a surge of brewers producing big "Baltic Porters" at the moment which are really just Imperial Stouts using lager yeast.

And commercial brewers (IPLs).

I've tasted a few beers that were along these lines. There seems to be a surge of brewers producing big "Baltic Porters" at the moment which are really just Imperial Stouts using lager yeast.

And how were they, kook? Would you have known they were lagers by taste?

agreed,
steam beer and the old Baltic porter would be classic cross overs... and i guess schwartzbier is too...

But i say.. Lager Schmager.

But i say.. Lager Schmager.

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

I wouldn't mind giving this a go since I always ferment on the cooler side to help keep my ales free of yeast flavors, but I dont think I could be bothered with a 2 week or longer ferment.

If I fermented a lager strain (S-189) at 15-16C would it turn out cleaner than an ale yeast?

Or W34/70 for that matter? Do the dried yeasts fair well at these temps?

At the Ealing beer festival I wentto a couple of weeks ago they had two Pilsners which had been cask conditioned and served as real ale.
One was Latitude by the Atlas brewery.
The other was 'I can't beleive its not bitter!' by Oakleaf Hampshire.
Very tasty and an interesting way of going about things.

Cream ale.

I have a copy of the Wyeast wall chart and it recommends the use of W2124 (Bohemian lager) for use in brewing pseudo-ales at 24 C, to eliminate sulphur production.

Anyone keen to make a German pils ale?

Seth :p

Wouldn't Trois Monts be classified as one of these?

Back