Brewed today.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chull

Reaction score
Just put this one down, any thoughts.

1 x Coopers Draught
1kg x LDME
500g x Dex
15g x Super Alpha @ 20min
2 x kit yeast pitched @ 23 deg
Currently sitting at 18-20deg

Will dry hop 25g x Cascade a few days before bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Sounds spot on for a kits n bits, I often did 1.5kg of extras with a kit, and it will balance the additional hops. And life's too short to drink lite beerz :beerbang:

Also nothing wrong with pitching two kit yeasts. The Coopers kit yeasts aren't too bad, you'll see a lot of guys on the forum saying to chuck them and get a "better" yeast.
That's ok if you are aiming for something specific like a lager or an American pale ale, but for most of the Coopers core range such as Draught, real ale etc the yeast under the lid is just fine.

Bribie G said:
Sounds spot on for a kits n bits, I often did 1.5kg of extras with a kit, and it will balance the additional hops. And life's too short to drink lite beerz :beerbang:

Also nothing wrong with pitching two kit yeasts. The Coopers kit yeasts aren't too bad, you'll see a lot of guys on the forum saying to chuck them and get a "better" yeast.
That's ok if you are aiming for something specific like a lager or an American pale ale, but for most of the Coopers core range such as Draught, real ale etc the yeast under the lid is just fine.
:icon_offtopic: I do often wonder if so many "experienced" brewers bag out Coopers yeast, just because it's Coopers. I wonder what they would think of it if it was sold under a different name...

I think the yeast under the lid is fine if you just want beer. If you want a specific type or quality then buying some yeast ( I mean it is $5 a packet and you can reuse it heaps) is a good investment. The coopers guys just pack the yeast that they think is most likely to make beer under any conditions, not the yeast that will make the best beer under perfect conditions.

I made beer for 4 years with kit yeast and me and my house mates were consistantly drunk so it deffinitly works:) EDIT drunkness wise anyway :)

Normally would use a better yeast but didn't have any on hand and couldn't be farked going to hbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yob said:
In 7g packets of mixed ale and lager yeast?

I'd think the same as I do now...
No, thats a misconception, just like many of the view on this yeast. Only 2 or 3 of the kits have a mix of ale and lager yeast. Most of the kits use a pure ale strain developed by Coopers.

The ale yeast is good for darker beers such as an All Grain Tooheys old style. Won a minor gong with an AG Aussie Dark done on Coopers a few years ago.

Braumoasta said:
No, thats a misconception, just like many of the view on this yeast. Only 2 or 3 of the kits have a mix of ale and lager yeast. Most of the kits use a pure ale strain developed by Coopers.
From their website

Original Series:- Ac (26807)

International Series:-
Australian Pale Ale - Ac+L (26807 Int)
Mexican Cerveza - Ac+L (26807 Int)
European Lager - L (26807 P)
Canadian Blonde - Ac (26807)
English Bitter - Ac (26807)

Thomas Coopers Selection:-
Wheat - A (26807 W)
IPA - Ac (26807 IPA)
Irish Stout - A (26807 IS)
Pilsener - L (26807 P)
Australian Bitter - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Heritage Lager - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Sparkling Ale - Ac+L (26807 PS)
Traditional Draught - Ac+L (26807 PS)

Note:
Ac = Coopers ale yeast (our own strain, not the same as the yeast in our commercial ales, developed in-house and propagated under contract).

A = ale yeast and L = lager yeast (these strains are commercially available dry

I count 6...

Apologies, I forgot about the Thomas Coopers kits. The pure Coopers ale yeast is supplied with 9 kits, including the kit discussed in this thread, which nevertheless goes against your general wording which seemed to be claiming that all Coopers yeast sachets are a mix of ale and lager yeast. So out of interest, Yob, why do you not like the Coopers yeast strain?

I tend to Brew AIPA and APA's along with the occasional specialty brew (and a splattering of English style brews) apart from the fact that I don't believe 7 grams to be an appropriate pitch rate for the gravities I Brew at.. The esters they produce aren't suited to my beers...

Don't get me wrong, I drank Coopers green for many a year, my tastes now however have somewhat grown beyond what Coopers or their yeast offer my palate.

I reckon unless you have temp control you may as well use the kit yeast...

pcmfisher said:
I reckon unless you have temp control you may as well use the kit yeast...
I dont think a blanket statement like that cuts it mate, if I have an IPA with a gravity of 1065, that's ok with a 7g packet of kit yeast?

I dont think so.

Yob said:
I dont think a blanket statement like that cuts it mate, if I have an IPA with a gravity of 1065, that's ok with a 7g packet of kit yeast?

I dont think so.
OH sorry.

If you are doing a standard gravity k&k or k&b brew (ie 1.040ish) and brew at 25 deg you might as well save the 5 or 6 bucks that you spent on a saf yeast as there will be no advantage.

Actually, I reckon the kit yeast will turn out better at those temps.

You might feel better pitching that extra couple of grams, and hey, it cost more so it must be better, but at those temps the only difference in the finished product will be in your mind.

I think so.

Holy shit..... I just did a hydro check and this is already down to 1.012....after 2 days @ 20deg!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Edit

3 days !

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

Latest posts

Back