Brewdog...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading about this on another forum and one point made by someone about this made me laugh, and also realise a cost I hadn't considered...
People were ranting about the cost and this person basically said that people had to consider that there was about 400 (US) dollars worth of taxidermy there to factor in...

On that show with james may and that other guy driving around britain drinking last night they had a Carlsberg beer claiming to be the most expensive in the world. The guy was saying the bottle alone was worth $50, and justified that by saying the label was designed by some artist
I was reading about this on another forum and one point made by someone about this made me laugh, and also realise a cost I hadn't considered...
People were ranting about the cost and this person basically said that people had to consider that there was about 400 (US) dollars worth of taxidermy there to factor in...

At 55% I start to wonder where the theorectical limit of freeze distillation actually is. Anyone?

On that note, I'd start looking at high end single malts before even considering purchasing this beer. Sure, they've pushed the envelope probably as far as possible and it's good to see brewers doing that, but they're alienating people in the process. Gotta love their sense of humour though!

The whole country will know about it soon... it's on ninemsn LINKY

Now that is excellent exposure for the company!

Maybe for the company but not for the cause. People will think craft beer needs to be "zany" to get noticed because they were right all along and Raw Blonde Virgin Cruisers are the best beer you can buy because they are so 'crisp and clean' that craft beer stuff tastes...yeah, that's the problem, it tastes.

forgot to type, carefully considered product placement, shit, i'm tipsy...

I am pretty sure that whilst we sit here and tattle tall tales about a brew company, its not to say that all the other beers they have designed are still progressing along as well. Id say that this push by young brewers to grab some hightlights is a good attempt at keeping the limelight focused on thier product line.
Every beer breweery should have a claim to fame, and the "most expensive most outrageous" badge only serves to further showcase them as am upcoming company to keep an eye on

;)

Having said that it is completely outrageous expense and use of exotic materials :wacko:

i dont have a problem with the label.

its label died of natural causes. and the price you would want something a bit special. it is a bit of a bit of a pissing contest regarding the percentage. but in saying that when i was working at the Copenhagen beer festival this year i got to taste all there beers including the penguin and Bismarck and despite there % they where very drinkable smoother than most spirits.

I'd imagine it would be less of a beer more of a spirit. I tried some Eisenbahn "Bier Liquer" once which was delicious, being a dark beer as the base it had chocolate/coffee notes and very malty sweet. Not sure what method they used to fortify it though.

sounds like an epic waste of money, given the conversion rate to aussie dollars + postage you would be looking at at least $100 for one bottle. and the aforementioned bottle can't exactly be corked and put back in the fridge you have to drink it in one session. and i'm assuming we're talking a standard european 330ml deal here.
kinda reminds me of that $50 belgian beer packaged in a champagne bottle. talk about upper class, opulent, yuppie, or whatever you want to call it. but it's just so expensive.
makes vb, xxxx, tooheys new or even hammer and tongs just that little bit more appealing.

but it's just so expensive.
makes vb, xxxx, tooheys new or even hammer and tongs just that little bit more appealing.

That is like saying that new XKR Jaguar is just so expensive, and it makes that rusty datsun 120Y look that little bit more appealing.

Ummmm..no.

sounds like an epic waste of money, given the conversion rate to aussie dollars + postage you would be looking at at least $100 for one bottle. and the aforementioned bottle can't exactly be corked and put back in the fridge you have to drink it in one session. and i'm assuming we're talking a standard european 330ml deal here.
kinda reminds me of that $50 belgian beer packaged in a champagne bottle. talk about upper class, opulent, yuppie, or whatever you want to call it. but it's just so expensive.
Mmmm, $50 Belgian beer... there's definitely a point in the imported beer shelf where I look at a price tag and think, "um, I can't afford that".
Still, nothing makes the swill you mentioned appealling.
(well okay, apart from a bloody hot summers day at a mate's place and there's nothing else in the fridge).

Can't afford the dead squirrel beer, but it made me chuckle.

sounds like an epic waste of money, given the conversion rate to aussie dollars + postage you would be looking at at least $100 for one bottle.

At the risk of seeming pedantic how does 500(+p&h) convert to AU$100?

Do the real conversion and get ready to rage.

At the risk of seeming pedantic how does 500(+p&h) convert to AU$100?

Do the real conversion and get ready to rage.

Sometimes it's a fine line between pedantic & accurate. I that post was nowhere near the fine line.

I had a 5th of a bottle of bizmark that a mate was generous enough to share. It certainly didn't taste like a 41% beer & was actually quite nice. Having said that, I can't imagine settling in to drink a dozen of them.

Hi,

Couldn't see reference to this elsewhere on the forums, so I thought I'd post up for you.

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) A Dutch brewer with a penchant for competition has laid claim to creating the world's strongest brew: a beer that is some 60 percent alcohol by volume.

"You don't drink it like beer, but like a cocktail -- in a nice whisky or cognac glass," brewer Jan Nijboer told Dutch news agency ANP.

Nijboer's Almere-based brewery, 't Koelschip (The Refrigerated Ship), sells the new beer, which is 120 proof and dubbed "Start the Future," in a one-third litre bottle for 35 euros $45 (28 pounds) each.

Nijboer told ANP he developed the new brew to keep up with Scottish outfits that were also pushing the boundaries of beer's alcohol content.

His previous record-holder, a beer called Oblix that was 90 proof (45 percent alcohol by volume), was eclipsed by a Scottish beer that reached 55 percent.

That beer, dubbed "The End of History," was announced last week by a small brewery called BrewDog. Only 12 bottles were made, each housed inside a stuffed dead animal and sold starting at 500 pounds each.

"It has become a little competition," Nijboer said. "You should see it as a joke."

Strange first post I know, but my friend works at BrewDog so I have taken an interest in the race. That's a heck of a lot of freezing and refreezing!

The thing that really blows BrewDog out of the water on this one, is how cheap this will be! Should easily come in under $100AUD for a bottle....

...hang on, did I just say $100 a stubbie is cheap? What has the world come to!?

Cheers,
Nik

I've still got a bottle of Eisenbahn Lust 11% beer I won last year. Cracked the other one at Christmas and it was memorable. I believe they are round the $80 mark but heck, it's 1.5 litres and one bottle totally destroys you :super:

Yeah well, me an Bribie brewed a beer that was so strong, it evaporated. So screw you, Nijboer...

Back