Brewcraft Czech Pilsener

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbg

Reaction score
Hi, I have attempted a Stella Artois brew, using the brewcraft Czech Pilsener, plus the other items that were up on reccomended ingredients on a sign at the local brew shop. I bottled it last Monday, and sampled some today.
It's a taste hard to describe, but at this stage was hard to drink, unlike some of the Coopers Lager I have brewed previously (It was drinkable after 5 days, but got better the longer I left it).

Any ideas, how long a beer like this takes to be reasonable? :(

G'day hbg,

Your beer is still very young and probably has't even carbonated properly yet.

You will get a better idea after about 6 weeks, so be patient.

Just bare in mind that lager styles are particularly difficult if not impossible to replicate with kit brewing, so dont be to disappointed if it doesn't come close to the genuinne article.

Having said that you will probably end up with a very drinkable beer in time.

Check out the path to mash brewing you just maybe one day be tempted!

But beware there's no going back! :beerbang:

Cheers BB

hbg said:
Hi, I have attempted a Stella Artois brew, using the brewcraft Czech Pilsener, plus the other items that were up on reccomended ingredients on a sign at the local brew shop. I bottled it last Monday, and sampled some today.
It's a taste hard to describe, but at this stage was hard to drink, unlike some of the Coopers Lager I have brewed previously (It was drinkable after 5 days, but got better the longer I left it).

Any ideas, how long a beer like this takes to be reasonable? :(
[post="105317"][/post]​

firstly, your kit brew most probably came with a true lager yeast i assume, so you'll need to ferment it at around 10-12 degrees ar else it will come out tasting like apple cidar. secondly, it will take around 2 weeks of primary ferment followed by at least 4 weeks of lagering. If you want to brew a quick beer you'll have to stick with brewing ales.

VL.

You could possibly expect it to reach it's peak anytime from around 2 months to 6 months or more. I'm basically trying to brew my perfect Lager, well pilsener to be precise. Out of the several brews I have made in the last year, I have had many, many tastings, from being bottled for a couple of weeks, to being bottled for 5 months. From these tastings I have observed that the brews really don't start tasting 1/2 decent until they have been bottled for at least 2 months. My most favourite brew in particular, has been bottled for 4 1/2 months. Patience helps a lot in this game.

Cheers

hbg,

BoilerBoy is on the money.

Patience. Lagers are hard to replicate without good temerature control.

You should still enjoy your beer!

I just wanted to clarify that the yeast that comes with the kit as a standard is not a lager yeast.

vlbaby said:
firstly, your kit brew most probably came with a true lager yeast i assume

VL.
[post="105325"][/post]​

The Brewcraft range come standard with an ale yeast - the variety varies from time to time, but they are always better (they have a cleaner finish and flocculate better) than the 514 (which is under the lid of many kits). If you brew colder than 16C invest in a lager yeast.

Cheers,

Keith

Latest posts

Back